Author Topic: Solar christmas lights  (Read 1792 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Solar christmas lights
« on: November 23, 2009, 18:45:35 »
Has anyone used these and if so where did you buy them? I've been googling and they vary a lot in price, length of string and p&p so would like a recommendation if possible.
Thanks.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Solar christmas lights
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 18:46:45 »
If they're as good as solar powered garden lights I'd suggest you get some plug-in spares!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 19:22:31 »
I should try California, it is a bit sunnier there at Xmas. perhaps it has slipped your mind but xmas falls near the winter equinox which is not normally associated with long sunny days. ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 20:29:14 »
Never mind that lot in Copenhagen-I'm doing my bit to tackle global warming this week. Got my "greener" car, and my little homegrown christmas tree (thanks to A4A) is bedecked with pretty solar powered lights.

Got them for £9.99 in Maplin's online sale so decided it was worth a try. Thought they weren't working at first but then realised they are triggered to work when it goes dark. :-[

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 16:49:37 »
Saw some in B&Q yesterday

Levi

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 20:16:31 »
I've finally treated myself to some this week. Bought them from Ecofreak, local to me, but they are solarcentre brand. They weren't as cheap as some but I was advised that some solar lights (in general), are less suitable for our winter weather. The guy at Ecofreak was really helpful advice-wise and I was dead impressed with their efficient delivery and service. The lights are really pretty and its sooo nice to think they aint costing anything after I recoup in ???? years!!
One Love

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:22:55 »
Costs

Just looked at the ones on the tree beside me (normal ones) - they say 0.75W and I reckon there's about 40 bulbs. 0.75*40=30W. So about 1 unit of electric every 33 hours, i.e. at 10p a unit, it's 0.3p an hour. They are on for maybe 5 hours a day, so 1.5p a day.

If you keep them out for 6 weeks you will save about 45*1.5p=60p a year.

I think these cost about £10.

How long will it take until you get your money back and what will you spend the savings on?

Oh, should add, the 60p is turned into heat which warms the room so is not wasted at this time of year.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:49:23 by OllieC »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:11:46 »
I just laughed when I saw the subject.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 18:32:54 »
Yesterday was very sunny here and the lights stayed on all night,although they were pretty weak by this morning. Today it has been dull and wet and they are struggling this evening. Unfortunately my front door faces west so not the best place for them anyway.

Also, it's not just the energy-saving, it's not having to put an electric cable out of the window!

(Meanwhile my daughter left the indoor tree lights on all night! >:()

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 21:45:28 »
I've seen a lot of them about when I'm walking the dog of an evening. They seem to be very good. I think I might put some over the pergola on a semi-permanent basis!!

Levi

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 00:07:24 »
Its more about the feelgood factor than the material gain. But when I eventually recoup!?! I'll save up for a wood burning boiler and solar roof tiles, after I've bought a sense of humour cos solar only makes me smile not laugh.
One Love

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal