Author Topic: Do fridges need additional space  (Read 1826 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Do fridges need additional space
« on: December 13, 2009, 21:56:15 »
We are looking for a second fridge freezer and saw one that we liked.  There was a customers negative review stating the manufacturers instructions stipulated leaving a 10cm gap left and right of where the fridge is to be sited.  Without this then the fridge freezer may not get things cool enough to the correct cool temperature. 

I have never known of this before.  Has anybody ever heard of this before?  Seems a little strange to me. ::) ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Do fridges need additional space
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 22:43:44 »
I've heard/read this too, but what happens to those that are built into units ???  I've never had a built-in fridge or freezer, so wouldn't know, but have often wondered if there's a difference.
The Tuscan Beaneater

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:34:28 »

I bought a cheap additional fridge a couple of years ago  for keeping drinks in and noticed that the sides get very warm indeed.

My normal fridge and freezers do not. So may be this cheaper version is not as well made (£59.99 an ASDA special).

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:31:02 »
I expect it is the only way they can put an A or B rating on the appliance. Which means it will only apply to those ratings if it is left in the middle of the room. The manufacturers will get up to every trick possible to get their  product into the greener belt. Read the very very small print that will be on thier website somewhere after you have logged in, downloaded a load of junk, promised to agree to their terms and signed up for tons of spam.

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:47:06 »
The heat has to go somewhere. All fridges need to have a way to get rid of the heat they remove from the inside - on free standing ones, into the air around them. They may not always say so clearly, but they all need space around them.
I think built in ones tend to have 'built in' air spaces at the back and ventilation grilles somewhere.

Can't remember the details of refrigeration cycle offhand - haven't needed to use that for a long time, but it works by a gas being compressed at one point and allowed to expand somewhere else, which allows it to be cooled below the temperature of the air around it.

Sally

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 10:19:37 »
 There always used to be a space beside them with a hanging space for drying tea towels. 

A fridge is a heat pump, it pumps the heat out of the fridge - and since it is inefficient the electricity it uses ends up as heat as well.

http://www.ior.org.uk/ior_/fantastic_fridges_site/science/how%20your%20fridge%20works.htm

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 11:54:07 »
 A hotel we stayed at last year had a fridge which was tucked away in a cabinet & it was Bl***y useless, so yes it could be a good idea to leave space for it to allow the warm air to escape. ;D

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 18:20:13 »
having spent the last 40yrs or so fitting kitchens....
if the manufacturers say a 10mm gap..then you need the gap...
for exactly the reason you have already stated...
Built in or under fridges/freezer are a completely different ball game...
But still require space...given in the fitting instructions....
Air intake and extraction.....very important....as with all white goods....
Air flow in other words....cooling.....

All need air to circulate and work efficiently....
Hope that helps ;) ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal