Author Topic: Tastes of different Winter Squash  (Read 15121 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Tastes of different Winter Squash
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 22:35:16 »
Hmm... that's pretty bonkers, even for squash :D....

Up there with Galeux D'Eysines.... harvested when a fresh-looking salmon-pink rather camp objet, eaten when a warty horror and you have to expel the woodlice from the skin.... truly the squash of Dorian Gray.....

chrisc

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 20:04:23 »
Spotted an interesting new variety to me, in the catalogues this year called Invincible. Claimed to be an improved Crown Prince type, but does not appear to be an F1. Has anyone grown it previously and what was your opinion?
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 14:52:56 »
Hi Realfood, way back down the thread you asked about what i thought of Red Kuri, well I have finally eatern mine, good keepers, good taste, on a par with Crown Prince and useful in that they are a smaller size, but I still prefer the texture of Crown Prince for roasting.  I haven't even started on CP yet, they keep so well!

T.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 18:37:18 »
I was searching for taste comparisons on the internet and found the following explanation why a grower stopped growing some of the F1 hybrids. Interesting that they had more problem with borers which are a problem here, maybe not where you are.

"Bonbon Buttercup - Smooth, deep green skin on rounded fruit that has a grey button at the base. Flesh is yellow-orange colored and fruits average 4 to 5 pounds. A new hybrid by Johnny's that is touted to have better taste and yield. Taste is sweeter after a few weeks of storage (storage must be on the dry side) BUT we were able to only coax one fruit from our plants. Most were destroyed by a combination of borers, squash bugs and climatic conditions. We had better results in 2007 while interplanting with nasturtium and radish. However, we found the open-pollinated Burgess Buttercup did at least as well as Bonbon. When in doubt, we prefer to use open-pollinated varieties. We also suspect that many newer hybrids are not as hardy for the conditions we put our crops through. Unlike hybridization trials, our fields are not sprayed to control all pests, weeds do appear in our fields and we do not tend to use plastic mulch and drip irrigation. On the other hand, the fruit were quite tasty - and they tended to grow the fruit out entirely. The Burgess would sometimes stunt slightly. Bonbon tended to have more problems with insects boring through the skin of the fruit..

Scarlet Kabocha ("Sunshine") - Small 1 to 2 pound fruits with bright orange skin and orange flesh. Smooth, sweet flesh is very tasty and a good meal for a couple of people (one fruit for two people). It can be used for baking, mashing or pies. Vines are shorter than many varieties, which might make it a good variety for people with less space to give for squash.  BUT  These did a little better with the borers and other problems, yet produced only a half dozen fruits for us. We will say that they taste excellent. We are noting that they store for a shorter period than other varieties and that they don't change taste as they store - so are good to eat immediately. We feel we have found open pollinated varieties that will do better and have excellent taste qualities."

Somebody else on the internet said there are more stem rotting problems with the F1s.
Another person said in general choose the darker skinned squashes which have darker interior flesh.
Another comment was in general don't choose shiny squashes because the duller ones were picked later and should be sweeter.

Some of you highly recommended Crown Prince but I'm not finding that here- perhaps it goes by a different name in the states.

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 19:21:58 »
I am very glad to say that as yet, we do not have borers or squash bugs in the UK!! And long may that continue!! The only pests that have occasionally attacked my squash have been the occasional slug when the squash have been just planted out, and red spider mites in hot, dry, conditions on the underside of the leaves.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 20:04:16 »
I am very glad to say that as yet, we do not have borers or squash bugs in the UK!! And long may that continue!! The only pests that have occasionally attacked my squash have been the occasional slug when the squash have been just planted out, and red spider mites in hot, dry, conditions on the underside of the leaves.
Lucky you!  Fortunately they don't seem to bother butternuts. I'll be trying some of the F1's this summer and see if they can hold their own against borers. I cannot grow zucchini because the borers always get them just when they look ready to produce. Come out in the morning and the whole plant has collapsed flat!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 13:34:16 »
I grew BonBOn this year in the UK. Two or three decent fruit per plant but it's an aggressive vine on my plot, swamped a courgette and both my Uchiki Kuri planst (one of them) overgrew a couple of spuds, killed a tomato (before the blight got the rest of them) and swamped a Winter Festival before turning up 15+ feet away on a fence (the other plant). Fruit are a bit big for me, about 4Kg each, but flavour is excellent.... I'll be trying it again this year up a trellis as two of the fruit were set on the fence and it clung on to that cheerfully. Willb e able to compare vs Burgess Buttercup, which by all accoutns it resemles in form very closely.

chrisc

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 14:34:14 »
John Miller just pm'd me that "Confection"
is related to "Crown Prince" (a smaller version). I'd already ordered one called "Winter Confection" but have no idea of its parentage. Too bad the seed companies just invent new names, but don't give that info.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 07:10:33 »
The naming of varieties, and the different names in different countries is a real pain! GA I have a couple of spare Crown Prince I could send if you want to give them a go - they (IMO) are really great. I still have 1 on a windowcill, and it still looks fab, and I'm expecting it to taste great  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 14:06:12 »
The naming of varieties, and the different names in different countries is a real pain! GA I have a couple of spare Crown Prince I could send if you want to give them a go - they (IMO) are really great. I still have 1 on a windowcill, and it still looks fab, and I'm expecting it to taste great  :)
Thank you so much! I'm hoping this will be a good year for taste testing a whole variety of squash. We might turn orange-skinned in the process if the weather is good!

What would you like to try in return?  I'll PM you what I've got.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2010, 17:07:39 »
Hi All

I bought a lovely squash Munchkin  from the supermarket (I blush) but my pumpkins (hubbard squash) were all eaten months ago.  It was absolutely wonderful (sweet and nutty) but it is a very small pumpkin so would be a good meal for one greedy person. 

I have saved some seed so fingers crossed will be able to grow some this year.  I always grow my pumpkins/ squash on top of some of my compost heaps which I have filled with raw horse compost topped off with potting soil.  It seems to work well and acts a bit like a hot bed.  Always have good results and makes the compost heaps look lovely as well.

There is a squash/courgette seed swap being organised at the moment on the Swap Forum so go over there and we can all have a lovely swap trying out the new varieties.  I am really looking forward to trying the Bonbon.  I love hubbard squash but always grow the South African variety - lovely.

Regards

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 19:02:25 »
Remember to check any Winter Squash that you still have in store, every week in case the skin on some start to breakdown.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2010, 00:08:25 »
We are having a "break down" as I type... my squash were in our "frost proof" museum, but a committee member moved them into the big greenhouse, they would probably still have been OK but they left the door open for 48hours at the start of the cold frosty/snowy period before Xmas... the veg spag collapsed almost straight away but the toughies are going now... we have made three gallons of soup and several loads of Pumpkin "curries" but still have @ 10kg to process...
One could get slightly miffed... :-X

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2010, 02:14:32 »
That's sad, Saddad. It seems there are so many ways for a squash crop to meet disaster it makes one wonder why we keep at it.  At least you have the soup to enjoy.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2010, 08:24:00 »
Grannie Annie, Crown Prince is available this side of the pond. It's ancestry by the way comes from the Australian Blue group likewise Jarrahdale,Queensland Blue,Triamble,etc. Originally went to  the States from Australia. in the 30s. Other names for Crown Prince are Crown,(the original name) then Improved Crown,Select Crown , then the hybrid Crown Prince came along. Although I am very fond of Delicata squash overall my fave family are the Australian Blues, they have come a long way since they left Oz, all but Jarrahdale is an excellent taste and they keep longer than most of the other squash groups. It is a fact that many of the Australian Blues have several names, also they have never been record breakingingly popular in the US.

By the way, The spaghetti squash that was lost, they are known for short times for keeping.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2010, 08:44:13 »
Yes my Marina Di Choggia has finally succumbed,, and will be souped this week. The Ausie Blues and the Crown Prince and the Uchiki Kuri are still going strong  :)

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:09 »
One of my turks turban started to go and i made a lovely roasted squash last night, had to stop myself from eating it all, the two i have left are still going fine

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2010, 10:15:57 »
Grannie Annie, Crown Prince is available this side of the pond. It's ancestry by the way comes from the Australian Blue group likewise Jarrahdale,Queensland Blue,Triamble,etc. Originally went to  the States from Australia. in the 30s. Other names for Crown Prince are Crown,(the original name) then Improved Crown,Select Crown , then the hybrid Crown Prince came along. Although I am very fond of Delicata squash overall my fave family are the Australian Blues, they have come a long way since they left Oz, all but Jarrahdale is an excellent taste and they keep longer than most of the other squash groups. It is a fact that many of the Australian Blues have several names, also they have never been record breakingingly popular in the US.

XX Jeannine
Thanks Jeannine for the clarification.  Do you know how resistant to borers the Australian Blues are?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:20 »
I have no idea as I have no experience with them, by the way if you need any new types I am cutting mine down as I have more than I will ever use but I don't think I have Crown Prince,let me know if there is anything else you are looking for.

How hot is it were you are?  Or Zone ? Are you able to grow some of the long season ones.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2010, 12:45:40 »
I know Veg Spag don't store as well... but the ones that are in the shed by the house and not frosted are still fine...  :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal