Author Topic: Growing Beans in the Same Place  (Read 9044 times)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: Growing Beans in the Same Place
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2009, 17:52:33 »
Digeroo,
My father got me to dig the trench at the top of the garden and another on the lottie for years. He had the same spot for them before I came along and after I left home he carried on with them in the same spot.
They always were good croppers and never failed him.
Why break a good rule of thumbm, if it grows there leave them there.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2009, 18:16:55 »
I have got rust on my runner beans for years.  One reason I keep sowing more as the season progresses, so that I can abandon one set of beans and move onto the next.    Not sure that keeping the beans, in the same place or not will make much difference presume it is blowing about in the wind.

Some varieties are more susceptible than others.   I was quite pleased with Aintree, no problems while other right next door died back.

I read on a US forum that people inoculate the beans to implant the bacteria.  I was therefore very worried when I realised that I had a new allotment as to whether there would be any available.  But there had been clover on site for many years, and when I dug up some beans they were absolutely caked in nodules.

Just to say a big thank you to all who have posted on this thread.  I have enjoyed it very much.  Some new ideas, some education, some interesting advice, some jokes and humour, a bit of wandering.  Thats what I like about this forum.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2009, 14:57:56 »
We have a permanent climbing bean bed, as once the O/H put up all the poles he turned to me and said i am not doing that again!!!!!

::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal