Author Topic: Growing Beans in the Same Place  (Read 9078 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Growing Beans in the Same Place
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 19:10:19 »
6 weeks later plant 2 more at the bottom of the others to extend the harvest.

I like the thought of this.  I usually start a new set of canes mid june and beginning of july.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 21:24:19 »
i always grow mine in the same place i use 8' bamboo canes in an x shape that is wider at the top so that the beans hang down the outside that makes picking them much easier, i leave this years beans in the ground until feb when i dig them in and add as much compost as i can into a trench. plant the beans straight in the ground and 6 weeks later plant 2 more at the bottom of the others to extend the harvest.

what a good idea, definately doing an X next year!

if you like that then you'll like the 'Munty Frame' http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=2100.300 i am very taken with this idea but i didn't have the space needed to do it this year, i hope to try it out next year.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 21:34:02 »
I think I might give this Munty frame a go.  I have a huge problem not finding the beans and then finding they have grown to big and tough to eat.  Only problem is it will have to be diagonal on my site down a slope.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2009, 01:33:30 »
I've just spent the last few hours reading the munty thread. It sounds like a great system. I'm certainly up for giving it a go!  Thanks again Kella. You're full of great suggestions.  :)

OMG -just noticed the time  :o :o Goodnight Maryellen.....

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 06:00:36 »

if you like that then you'll like the 'Munty Frame' http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=2100.300 color]

This is how Mohammed from Bangladesh grows his squash -

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

I think this is the same sort of thing as the one in your link Kella?  I had never thought of growing beans like this, what a good idea!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2009, 06:31:29 »

1066 a plot neighbour grows several types of beans, and sweet peas,  all together on his cane double rows and wigwams. So unless anyone says different I say go ahead and  give it a try!

Thanks Flighty - I kind of did this last year but thoought the sweatpeas took over a bit and swamped the climbing beans and runners. Whereas the dwarf beans were brilliant from the start and produced lots of great beans. Maybe I should cut down on the number of sweat pea plants (or spread them out across the plot a bit more !!
What I'd like to try as well is a catch crop in the middle of the canes.... But then looking at the Munty frame......
Ooo decisions decisions!

Inspiring pic Squash  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2009, 10:13:58 »

if you like that then you'll like the 'Munty Frame' http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=2100.300 color]

This is how Mohammed from Bangladesh grows his squash -

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

I think this is the same sort of thing as the one in your link Kella?  I had never thought of growing beans like this, what a good idea!

what a fantastic idea for growing squash, i love it, hmmm! another to try next year me thinks ;).

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2009, 11:31:30 »
I did two Munty frames this year using assorted trash ( if you wish, see my gallery 5th image).
I'd recommend very sturdy side poles because of the weight of the vines in a wind. Anything flimsy is a waste of time to my way of thinking after a twig arbor went down with only a morning glory vine on it once.. 

My Munty contraption used: two old volleyball posts which still had their concrete bases attached when I found them in the woods, a metal cot frame, two cross country skis, metal  rods from the interior or a sleeper sofa, plastic edging to hold a brick walkway in place, some wood strips and some rusty old fence posts. It is still standing; a marvel of architectural beauty, surely the 11th wonder of the world.

I companion planted snow peas up first, then later poked purple pole beans seeds in between the peas. Not sure that was a good idea.  Underneath were planted Masai bush beans which did VERY well.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 11:44:21 »
Fantastic thread peeps, got nothing to add really but this is what A4A is all about and why it is so useful to those of us who are inexperienced.  :)

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2009, 12:20:11 »
I did two Munty frames this year using assorted trash ( if you wish, see my gallery 5th image).
I'd recommend very sturdy side poles because of the weight of the vines in a wind. Anything flimsy is a waste of time to my way of thinking after a twig arbor went down with only a morning glory vine on it once.. 

My Munty contraption used: two old volleyball posts which still had their concrete bases attached when I found them in the woods, a metal cot frame, two cross country skis, metal  rods from the interior or a sleeper sofa, plastic edging to hold a brick walkway in place, some wood strips and some rusty old fence posts. It is still standing; a marvel of architectural beauty, surely the 11th wonder of the world.

I companion planted snow peas up first, then later poked purple pole beans seeds in between the peas. Not sure that was a good idea.  Underneath were planted Masai bush beans which did VERY well.

it looked much better than you described ;)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2009, 15:28:44 »
I took this photo of Mohammed's frame today.

[attachment=1]

It was taken from the side of the frame and you can see some squash hanging down.  I think they are similar to Sicilian Snakes, or they might even be SS.

The front of the frame measures approx. 12 feet across and it is about 8 feet deep.

I think it works really well for squash.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2009, 17:46:05 »
that is quite a substantial frame Squash64, does he move it around or is it permanent.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2009, 17:51:45 »
that is quite a substantial frame Squash64, does he move it around or is it permanent.

No, he doesn't move it.  The corners are very sturdy but I noticed today that the 'ceiling' part is made of bamboo canes.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2009, 17:57:57 »
Isn't it amazing the way a thread can develop?! ThisMunty frame  is fantastic and something I will definately try next year!!  ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2009, 07:41:36 »
And I've just remembered that I have some of the Wilco's rose arches to use for next year  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2009, 08:11:20 »
I haven't followed this thread but presumably growing your beans in the same place increases the beneficial fungi/bacteria associated with nitrogen fixation by legumes... I know one company was selling them as a seed dusting this year..
 :-\

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2009, 08:15:37 »
seed dusting

Now I don't really do dusting ......
And I've heard of fairy dust .......

;)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2009, 08:21:18 »
 ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2009, 08:31:42 »
Our beans got rust so do we need to move them next year & dispose of the foliage to the tip.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2009, 08:33:46 »
Not sure how it's carried Janet... getting rid of the foliage won't hurt...  :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal