Author Topic: Well rotted manure  (Read 5111 times)

ciderself

• Quarter Acre
Well rotted manure
« on: October 20, 2003, 18:54:54 »
I know this sounds pathetic BUT when do you know if manure is rotted enough.
I've been to collect some today and it wasnt steaming or anything like that. (I've known it melt plastic dustbins when fresh).
If its put on the dug soil now surely it will have rotted down come springtime?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
Re: Well rotted manure
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 19:29:13 »
Hiya,  :)

To rot or not to rot.

Well rotted is black, crumbly stuff.  New is brown and sometimes steamy.

I use the well rotted for specific things.  I have no probs with covering the whole of my plot with new in early Autumn.  The worms drag it down during the winter and it keeps weeds down.  It also makes for easier cultivation in spring.

I use my old as the base in my sweetcorn pots and for growing on all my beans etc, I then use it when planting out spuds, beans, peas et al with some chicken manure.  Also for changing my greenhouse soil.  

With a bit of bashing and the adition of odds and ends I also use it as a seed compost, and for potting on.

To me, it gives the plot heart.  In my part of the world, we get as much as we want, delivered by the horsey peeps which I mix with my ordinary composting material. That's the manure not the horsey peeps. *snigger*

Try it new on your plot.  Experience will say if it is successful with your soil.

Me, I'm just a lazy bones and easy plotting is my way.  ;)

ciderself

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 19:51:33 »
Cheers Merv
No sleepless nights over that then. The soil definitely needed something on it as it was so dusty.

Will plan to make holding bin so can have better rotted for springtime spuds.
If I've got this right - thats compost, grass cuttings wrapped in newspaper then well rotted manure- going to need a deep trench.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 01:21:23 »
hmmmm...ciderself......what do you mean?  Do you dig a trench now and fill the base with green stuff to then plant your spuds in, in the same way you would for a bean trench?  Only curious as I did my bean trench today - nearly killed me, but a job well done, so if I need to do one for my spuds, I need to plan accordingly (and warn the local A&E  ;D)

I have covered half my plot with fresh manure and just forked it in a bit, the soil is so dusty, and today I forked it over again and was amazed at the improvement already, in just a few weeks!  Worms everywhere, the soil was damp and chunky - kinda wholesome, if you know what I mean.  Hope the veggies will love it too!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 01:35:20 »
BEAN TRENCH  :o, that's a dirty word at my house at the mo, merrily dug mine last week, and yes, have spent the last week on my back, thinking of all the things I SHOULD be doing!! Beware the bean trench back all!
A miserable Dotty P.  :(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 10:13:01 »
I dug my bean trench 2 weeks ago and it's now full of leek leaves, some dodgy looking endive and the clearance from the pumpkin patch. What do I do now - wait for it to rot or cover it with soil now ?

ciderself

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 10:58:28 »
Gosh Emma Jane/Doris and Belly
What do you mean digging a trench now for your BEANS? Do you mean RUNNER beans? What are you putting in it apart from leek leaves- praps we should have a topical tips site - what we should be doing THIS WEEK before it rains 'cos I was going to leave mine until I was just about to plant them out.
This means I have to plan where they are going to go NOW and I will have changed my mind a squillion times by then.
Emma Jane I'm so glad the manure has worked its magic on your soil. Sounds like your veggies will have a feast. Did you put it on as soon as the plot was empty. It will hopefully have had the same effect when I come back from bonny Scotland next week ( with many bags of seaweed).  So dry -hardly any worms at all. Quite scary.
Last time I did spuds - all I put into the trench was grass  cuttings at the time of planting. That was a long time ago but it worked ok - different kind of soil though. That was limestone not dusty sand,

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 12:12:01 »
Ciderself, I am filling mine with all my green  waste from my kitchen, shredded newspaper and a few old grass mowings. dig a trench where your beans are going to go, then fill it with stuff you would normally put in your compost, as you fill put the soil back on top, it will work it's magic over the winter and your beans will love you for it!! I don't move my beans from year to year, :o so don't have the problem of where to put them!! :)
Look out for your back tho, the soil is like concrete!! :-[
Dotty P.

ciderself

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 13:04:03 »
Will do Doris
Thanks for the tip. Might get the old man to give us a hand with that one. He's grown very fond of his mattock - clears the ground better than my blunt old spade.

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 14:30:29 »
So Doris - you put the soil back once it's full - you don't have to wait for it to rot down first ?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 21:20:47 »
Nah BB, I pile it on the top of the stuff and let mother nature get on with it underground over the winter. Also if you leave it open it will encourage Mr. Rat  :o  I do mine in sections, rather like double digging. Do one part of the trench, put soil in wheelbarrow, then fill trench with waste, then top that from soil from next part of the trench  you dig, and on and on till you get to the end when you top it with the soil from the 1st bit dug. I find this way I do not have to collect masses of stuff to put in all in one go.if that all makes sense!!  Dotty P.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2003, 13:34:17 »
In my bean trench (or grave as my husband calls it!) along with the green waste I have been bunging buckets of the silt that fills up our stream.  We have to take the silt out to keep the water running otherwise it dams up and floods.  I figure the silty soils is fertile, and wet, so rather than just heap it up at the side of the stream, where it will just slide back in, I thought I would put it to good use!  I am expecting 3 foot long runners next year!  HOORAH!

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 15:45:48 »
I'm putting in two rows this year.  1st trench I've layered newspaper, grasscuttings, kitchen waste and seaweed.  I quite fancy doing a bit of a trial - anyone got any ideas what I could put in the other that's different so I can see if I get better results with one or the other?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 15:48:44 »
Do I remember that on the GW special on allotments, one chap put plastic down forst in his trench? ??? Could be a figment of my wild imagination, but would kinda make sense to keep the moisture in. Might be worth a try :) DP

rdak

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 16:02:15 »
an old guy on my allotment swears by newspaper, comfrey leaves, grass cuttings and 'Rooster Booster' chicken manure- and he does have an impressive crop.

he also says that black plastic is very bad for the soil and that it's much better to use carpets.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2003, 20:14:46 »
yuck!  Hate carpet!  I think if the carpet is made from natural fibres then it is okay, but nylon won't go anywhere, and what happened on our old family lottie put me off using it.  The weeds just grew clean through, and they became so matted with roots and weeds it was a nightmare when we decided to get rid and start again.  However, each to their own.  ;D

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2003, 20:36:26 »
Gotta go with EJ here.

I think the only place for carpet is to try and keep the heat in on my Muck Bays.

It is basically useless for weed supression and encourages slugs.

I have never used a trench for anything and would never think of doing so.  So much work for so little improvement.  Oh, I've seen them doing it, and the sooties; doing an imitation of The Black and White Minstral Show in their spud trenches.( mind you, this is a dieing art, as the coal fire is phased out)

Sure, let's do it for fun, do it for the Kids; but it doesn't have to be done for a successful crop.

IMHO, Life's too short to stuff mushrooms, and to dig trenches when an individual trowel hole will do.

Life's a back-breaker as it is, I don't need to add to it  ;)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2003, 02:10:37 »
:-[have just been reading the assorted queries above...am panicking ???it seems most of you have already dug your bean trench....sorry to hear about the bad back Doris.....that's worrying me a bit too as I've not gardened for many years...as I only got my lottie yesterday and I can't imagine how long it will be before I can realistically get started on it....don't forget - I've got no tools yet!...let alone get things cleared and enough dug for a while...does this mean I wont be able to grow beans next year.....is it absolutely essential to get one dug now?....blessed relief....have just read the last message from Merv......soooo I haven't GOT to dig one.....hooray....mind you - I'm sure everyone will have different opinions on this....I know my Dad & Grandad always dug one but.....by the way...how do you put those amusing little pics/comments to the left of your postings.....I haven't got the hang of these postings yet.....Hot Potato

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2003, 03:02:56 »
Don`t panic (at least, not unless you like panicking). You don`t have to have a bean trench, and you`ll be able to grow quite a reasonable crop without one, but the beans won`t be as plentiful or as good, and of course we all like to grow more and bigger beans than anyone else so that we can brag about it on these boards.

And as for using all the funny little gadgets .. ....

JUST TYPE BETWEEN THE SQUARE BRACKETS

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 12:13:55 »
i can't remember which one of you said it but aren't we supposed to put woolly jumpers in there as well?!!!

i haven't even thought about a bean trench until i read this, think it might be a thing to do as it will give me something to do over the next few weeks, but i'll reserve judgement until i've seen what the soil is like today!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal