Author Topic: Hemerocallis  (Read 1577 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Hemerocallis
« on: November 04, 2009, 16:12:55 »
Or Day Lilies as we like to call them. All this week we have been digging up our collection of Hemerocallis and nipping all the babies off before we replant our stock plant, re-label and feed with some well rotted manure to boost them up for next year. We are averaging 5 babies of of each plant that will be on sale in the spring to flower next year.

We have over 200 different varieties so it looks like about 1000 little ones to look after for the winter. They are all being lined up in the poly tunnel waiting for their new owners to come and put them on order.

I do not have much of a chance to see them when they all come out as it is usually garden show time and we are away when most of them bloom. But I do get to enjoy cleaning the odd bits of root that drop of during the replanting and then dippiing them in cheese and chive dip before they go down the hatch. LUVLEY. They have a taste that I would discribe as being like a very weak tasteing radish, so if you need a bit of something different to offer your guests as a nibble. Try mixing a few day lilies in with your mangetout .

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Hemerocallis
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 18:07:13 »
Tried the flowers which are best described as 'bland', but not the roots. Since we are in the process of getting rid of all our Hemerocallis perhaps eating them is better than taking them to the tip. Sadly we have a major infestation of H. Gall mites which destroy the flowers, so they are not worth the space for the leaves alone. Used to be only a problem on the early flowerers, but this year it got every plant we have (about 20 different ones). Any tips before they get binned?
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 18:40:01 »
I think I might try cutting a couple of offshoots from each variety then dusting them in sulphur or derris if you can get it it. let them dry like you would dalhias for a few week and try them in pots to see if they recover enough to flower next year. It does seem a shame to loose them all.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 14:18:08 »
Tried something like that. I dug up H. lilio-asphodelus and planted it in a large pot and soaked it with systemic insecticde. No effect whatsoever, the bugs were inside the flowers just the same. Not sure if they feed on the plant itself or what. All the research I have done has not come up with a solution, other than to remove and burn all the flowers which seems a bit pointless as far as having the plants taking up space is concerned.
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal