Author Topic: What size pots for cranberry bushes?  (Read 906 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
What size pots for cranberry bushes?
« on: November 05, 2009, 17:11:22 »
I have ordered some cranberry bushes which will come in 1 litre pots and will be little. I intend to container grow them so that I can ensure the soil is acid enough. Should I transplant them up and up as they grow, or should I plant them straight off into their fullsize pot? Also what size will they need? I was thinking 35-40 litres/40-50 cms?
Also, as they are, I believe, shallow-rooting should I aim for shallower wider pots if I can find them?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: What size pots for cranberry bushes?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 17:34:43 »
I made a container 2ft x 2ft and about 10inches deep (i wanted to give it enough room to be able to surface spread and lay down new roots) i also lined the container with very thick plastic and a very few drainage holes about 2" up the sides of the plastic, this is to help keep the soil very wet as it likes to sit in a tray of rain water while it is in the pot.

I'm afraid i have no pictures because well :-[ i have been sufferring the poor plant, i bought it back in 2007 it was a little thing that year and got transplanted into a 1L pot early 2008 and i only got round to building the container late last year with the intention to plant it up this spring and well its still in the pot :-\ but it doesn't seem to be holding this against me as it gave me enough berries to make a small jar of sauce :).

YES! YES! Duke I KNOW I'M BAAAADDDDD :-[ :-\ ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 19:57:17 »
That's a brilliant idea -I'll make my own.that way they can be any size I like. Thanks for the suggestion.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 21:15:56 »
glad to be of help :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal