Author Topic: hens sleeping in nest box  (Read 5272 times)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
hens sleeping in nest box
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:07:56 »
how can i stop girls from sleeping in nest box

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Re: hens sleeping in nest box
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:18:34 »
I'm not sure if you can! Mine sleep where ever they like one likes the nest box, one likes the perch and the others like certain spots on the floor of the coop  ;D

Doesnt seem to affect where they lay. All of them lay in the same two nest boxs.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:31:22 »
Hi Pauline

I have the same messy problem!!

I did put up a small barrier of scaffolding net pinned up in the corners and middle (both top and bottom)- which worked well for a few days before they twigged how to push past it last night!  But I have to be careful as one lays very early and actually has laid on top the netting!

I didn't want to put up a wooden barricade as it may put them off laying.

the other thing I did was put a fertiliser sack in the laying area (I have a straight run - as against individual nest boxes).  At least the poo was liftable out without soaking right through!

O B

chickadoodle

• Quarter Acre
  • Holder of the national collection of weeds!!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 13:11:54 »
If you put them up on the perch each might they should learn that is where they should sleep............... eventually.

If they have only just started to sleep in the nest box and previously slept on their perches, check for red mite in the house. 

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 18:37:20 »

the other thing I did was put a fertiliser sack in the laying area (I have a straight run - as against individual nest boxes).  At least the poo was liftable out without soaking right through!

O B
[/quote]

shall try that thank you all for sugestions
Huby spied fox on fields today so we have shut them all in
will have to get up early to let them out ,o how i wish we could live there,there is anough room but not allowed
Pauline

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 19:15:42 »
well it worked i used some of the bags that the layers pellets came in, it worked a treat.i cut them up to fit in the nest boxes and i got 6 eggs in one of them!! they layed early thats was off my new girls i have . the older ones though not laying much ther is 18 of them and i had 3 eggs from them today
i didnt have to clean nest boxes up wich was great,it was getting a pain
Thanks fo idea
Pauline :)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 16:55:59 »
Putting cardbourd and pieces of the chicken feed bags in nest box has worked a treet, i havent done it for 2,3 days and they are sleeping on there perches now not nest box i am well chuffed thankyou very much for idea
pauline :D     :D :D :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal