Author Topic: smoothys and shakes  (Read 4035 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
smoothys and shakes
« on: October 21, 2009, 18:18:49 »
Hi Guys,

I have bought a smoothy maker to try and up my fruit intake any tried and tested recipes?

Picked up some mango, bananas and some fruit juice packs so i can make some banana milkshakes and mango smootys but other than that i have no idea what i can make with this machine.

Cam

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: smoothys and shakes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 18:32:17 »
I use any old fruit with Soya milk but things like blackberries etc are great cos you can take a handful out of the freezer and wizz them up nice and easily.  Don't have a special maker just use one of those stick blender thingies  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 18:58:23 »
we use apple juice, banana and a handful of some sort of berries, e.g black, blue, strawberries or raspberries, if it needs sweetening, a bit of honey does the job  ;D
we have done some with skimmed milk, banana and strawberries, that was yummy, or peach and banana, the ripes ones are nicer  :)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 19:51:56 »
we use apple juice, banana and a handful of some sort of berries, e.g black, blue, strawberries or raspberries, if it needs sweetening, a bit of honey does the job  ;D
we have done some with skimmed milk, banana and strawberries, that was yummy, or peach and banana, the ripes ones are nicer  :)
A Jamie Oliver tip-if you use your own frozen berries half thawed it's fab, my grandchildren love it as it's a bit like a slush :) Personally I can't bear anything with milk so the apple juice is lovely
sanity is overated

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 20:40:58 »
thanks as always guys, i picked the machine up in argos for £13 so hopefuly if will cope :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 00:45:25 »
I have been asked what the machine was

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4201678/Trail/searchtext%3ESMOOTHY.htm

Its currently £13.49

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:44:31 »
i googled a while ago and found a great site cant remember what but give it a go ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:39:03 »
What's the difference between a smoothie mixer and a liquidiser?  We don't make many smoothies, and the machines look to be the same, surely one doesn't need one of each?  ??? ??? ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 11:33:33 »
What's the difference between a smoothie mixer and a liquidiser?
■ Virtually all smoothie makers have ice crushing blades, cheaper liquidisers often don't.
■ Most smoothie makers have a tap at the base of the goblet partially so people who have difficulty lifting a goblet full of liquid can pour their drinks more easily & partially to avoid spills when pouring. However if people make thick smoothies then the tap is likely to clog so the goblet will have to be picked up & contents poured into glasses anyway.
■ A smoothie maker often has less speed settings than a liquidiser so is not as efficient for things other than smoothies.
■ A smoothie maker is pretty much useless for dry ingredients whereas most liquidisers are capable of producing breadcrumbs, biscuit crumbs, chopping nuts etc...
■ Some smoothie makers have a slightly elevated blade claimed to give a smoother & frothier smoothie but also rendering it useless for numerous applications a liquidiser could be used for.

If you have a liquidiser & you can pick the goblet up when full you do not need a smoothie maker. If you have a smoothie maker & want to liquidise things you may need to purchase a liquidiser too.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 11:55:24 »
Most commercial smoothies have banana in it which hate.  Had a delicious smoothy Egypt with Apple, strawberry and carrot.  Been trying to get it right ever since without suucess.  I think it must have been carrot and apple juice with apple and strawberry becuase every time I do it with a fresh carrot it is far too rough.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 11:59:23 »
My wife bought a smoothie maker last year.  Cost a fortune to make one glass of stuff and works out much cheaper to buy a carton from the shop.  Though it can be good to use up the fruit that is not quite at its best for eating, but would be a waste to bin it.  It has been redundant in the back of the kitchen cupboard after the first month. :-\ :-\
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 07:19:55 »
I rarely use my liquidisor which is part of my food processor combination, I use the food processor all the time. I also use one of those 'stick' blenders a lot too for soups sauces and gravy, it sorts out any lumps and can be used as a smoothie maker if you make sure every thing is very cold to start with. Cheapest thing too as some supermarkets have them for about £5.

We do like smoothies but they have to be made and drunk fresh I find, home made ones separate or go solid if kept. Depending what is put in them.

Banana gives the best texture to them but if you are like me and hate bananas a dash of yoghurt will give good results too in the milky ones.

Berries can be a bit seedy and gritty, a teastrainer is essential after blending.

I think that you are going to find it will go in the same place as the other 'makers' after a short while we all have at least one of them which seemed like a good idea at the time.  toasted sandwich, bread, doughnut, waffle, pancake. To name but a few.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 19:42:06 »
well i have been having some fun with my machine and made some wonderful drinks and some days its all i have managed to keep down which has been very helpful.

I am also finding this machine really easy to use and wash where when i used my food processer it never really made things this smooth :)

The difference between using a smoothy maker has been expertly described which i am very grateful for :)

Favorite is still banana milkshake but very keen on the mango and pineapple juice mix i have found - not tried anything with apple yet.

Even found another friend who uses there most day and uses frozen fruit straight out of the packet (not tried that yet).

Made a strawberry puree for some plain ice-cream for a friends child last week which also went down well :)

cam

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 20:15:18 »
Cam, I don't know how delicate you're feeling at the moment, so feel free to ignore my suggestions...  ;) I used to share a flat with a 'raw food' fanatic & she has a lot to answer for. :D

Check out recipes for chilled summer soups and tweak to taste. Also, try adding watercress (or spinach) to your banana smoothie; it sounds utterly revolting, but the result is surprisingly palatable. Ginger, carrot & orange juice is a lovely concoction & can be blended down easily if you don't add too much carrot. (Or. if you want to add more, lightly steam it first).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal