Author Topic: glycophosphate when  (Read 1853 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
glycophosphate when
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:52:05 »
I have one last patch of my allotment which needs clearing.   It is a mound of soil, rubbish,and goodness knows what.   It is at the end of the plot under trees and is cover in weeds and brambles.  I intend to use weed killer but when is the best time to use it?   I have hopes I can turn it into a place to grow courgettes, and squashes.  Any advice please.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: glycophosphate when
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:57:04 »
I think when the weeds are growing, rather than dormant.
The Tuscan Beaneater

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:57:16 »
when the weeds are in active growth, so springtime onwards.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 12:52:51 »
Glyphosate comes in various strengths.

I would be surpised if the usual strengths available would kill off the brambles, and suggest you dig out as many of the bramble roots with a mattock or spade before applying the weedkiller in Spring, when the weeds and brambles are really going for it.

Remember that Glyphosate is toxic and remains in the soil for quite a while and, although it is unlikely to cause you any problems, do read the instructions fully about washing hands/gloves/etc.

Good luck - we're clearing a new allotment by the way outlined above, but glyphosate @ 450 grammes per litre is going to be used after a massive attack on brambles and nettles. The Tesco glyphosate is 90 grammes per litre...
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:57:12 »
have you thought about strimming it back and covering with black weed membrane and then planting through it? It would work perfectly for squashes, courgettes and pumpkins.  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 13:10:59 »
have you thought about strimming it back and covering with black weed membrane and then planting through it? It would work perfectly for squashes, courgettes and pumpkins.  :)

Thats what I did this year - but covered the ground with manure as well. Had some good crops, next to no weeding (a few thistles etc poked their heads out in the planting spaces) and am about to turn that area over for growing some spuds and greens in next year  :)

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 13:38:21 »
I did the same as 1066 and grew courgettes and butternuts in the bed.

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal