Author Topic: glorious Glads - but what now?  (Read 1158 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
glorious Glads - but what now?
« on: October 29, 2009, 21:46:09 »
I grew some 'Bride' Glads in a pot, they were absolutely gorgeous, but grew a little too tall, and I finally had to use them as cut flowers.  What do I do now?  I would like to grow again (in a pot, cos I ain't got a garden as such just a bit of decking) but a bigger one.  Should I wait till foliage dies down, or cut off now, and dry out the bulbs for next year?

I now the answer is out there, so would appreciate any help - thee are just too gorgeous to lose!!!!

Thanks, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: glorious Glads - but what now?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 21:54:03 »
Hello as with all bulbs i would wait until the leaves have died back, I usually give them a bit of fertiliser whilst they are green so that the bulb gets nice and fat.

Once the leaves have gone yellow i would either pull out the bulb and store somewhere until end of feb/early march then start it off in a pot away from the frost in a greenhouse or conservatory then plant out in the garden. Or just store the pot somewhere frost free over the winter and once next spring comes tip it out and plant somewhere.
If its going in the garden though it needs to be somewhere thats pretty sunny.

Keep all the little bulbils that will be around the bulb and dont worry if the bottom bit falls off thats natural. the bulbils will grow into adults eventually!
good luck sunlovingx

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
Re: glorious Glads - but what now?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 13:23:45 »
Glads hate wet, heavy soil over winter. Anything other than that and they'll be fine.

As stated, either leave them in the pot and keep them fairly dry, or de-pot them and re-plant in March onwards.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal