Author Topic: Bag people.  (Read 2238 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Bag people.
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:13:17 »
I have been working on my plot and on several occassions found people with bags going from plot to plot.  I am in the corner and often lurk behind my beans so I am out of sight.

But these people try and avoid me if I walk towards them. One was not going to leave while I was standing by the gate and spent a considerable time lurking down the far end of the allotments.   I had a word or two with her down the approach drive.  She said she was a friend of an allotment holder but did not know the name of the individual or the plot number. 

I also find foot marks in odd places on my plot.  I am a bit scatter brained, but do not think that I would sow a row of seeds and then a few days later put my foot right into the middle of it.   I have taken to putting sticks round things to stop them being walked on.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: Bag people.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:21:34 »
Do you have a secure site? If so, how are they getting in? I would ask them who are they with and if they won't answer ask them to leave the site. If not threaten to phone the police. They are obviously up to no good. There is no way they should be going from plot to plot.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:30:49 »
I am going to ask to have a lock put on the gate.  They could still climb over the fence quite easily.  But if they do not open the gate you know they are up to no good. 

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:03:54 »
Hi Digeroo,

It sounds like these people are doing a weekly shop on your site.
I put a fence around my fruit plot to stop this casual browsing after
we had a spate of it last year. Stealing of any kind can get a person
seven years in prison and therefore you can make a citizens arrest.
You can also dial 999 for a crime in progress. And otherwise inform plot holders and the local police.
You can also take pictures and video from a distance if you don`t feel able to challenge people, but you can also tell the police you feel intimidated by these people.

Keep us posted, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:14:49 »
very suspicious behaviour! And I hope your presence on site alone will deter them enough  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 17:51:47 »
That sounds like a problem. Keep the gate locked at all times, even if they can climb over. We used to get occasional raids using a lorry when the former committee let it drift.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 19:45:53 »
Crickey! this is not good.Some people have the cheek of the devil. So glad our site has high fencing and gates with locks.
We had a chap go from plot to plot on the unworked ones and were never able to catch up to ask what he was doing. I saw him out dog walking shortly after and asked him what he was collecting in his bag. It was seeds for his finches! Apparently they like a certain kind of weed seed. He is most welcome now we know ;D
I would certainly threaten the intruders with the police, why should they think they can help themselves?Don't expect they would like anyone to go into their house/garden and take just what they fancied.
Smile, it confuses people.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 22:19:32 »
I think these people rely on plotholders NOT challenging them.I know this is sometimes difficult but the more people say "hello" which is your plot then ?We've seen off the odd stranger like that.Get to know your neighbours would be a good start for all plotholders a bit like neighbourhood watch for the lottie.I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted but perhaps encouraging new plotholders to adopt this approach would benefit the whole site :) failing that get a gun-JOKE ;D
sanity is overated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal