Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Another compost query...

(1/3) > >>

cdchater:
Please help me resolve a small argument in our house! I have just 'obtained' a wooden crate to use as a compost bin. It has slats in the side and bottom which I think will be excellent for the compost as it will let air flow through. However, my hubby reckons that we should line the crate with plastic to keep the contents nicely contained and keep the warmth in. Who's right? Or do we both have good points? Any advise gratefully received!

Many thanks,
Claire

ps Sorry if somebody has already answered this query! I've looked through all the many compost threads and it doesn't appear to have been asked before.

Hugh_Jones:
A bin with closed sides is far and away better than onbe with slatted sides.  The best bins are those that retain their internal heat, and bins with slatted sides allow this to escape.  Additionally slatted sides will allow the contents of the bin nearest the edges to dry out, which closed sides will not.

Ventilation for a compost bin should be from underneath, not through the sides, and is best accomplished by raising the bin with a brick under each corner. As the contents of the bin warm up aiur is drawn in through the bottom, much as it is in a firegrate, and travels upwards through the bin.  You don`t need a bottom of any sort, slatted or otherwise. The contents of the bin should be in contact with the soil.

cdchater:
Thank you Hugh - as ever, excellent advise! Looks like I'll be lining the crate at the weekend then!

Many thanks,
Claire

Ceri:
On the skank again ... you know me - I've e-mailed Comet to see if our local store can give me a couple of cardboard washing machine boxes - they will be 'liners' for my compost area, which still hasn't got decent sides - the fence is so old, and the bits of wood I've already skanked so hard I can't get the nails to go through strongly enough to keep it upright!! and no, its not me being a girl, my husband (was once a joiner) couldn't get it to work either!  I figure the cardboard will give some insulation, and eventually rot down itself - the perfect bit of re-use and recycling in one!

cdchater:
Cerig,

What an excellent idea - that are probably just the right size to line the crate! I shall give that one a go - thank you!

I've been on the skant on the way into work this morning (still feeling quite sneaky actually!). All week there's been a skip near our car park and there WERE three pallets leaned up against it. Anyway, they were still there today and so I thought if no-body else wants them, they'd make another fab compost container on my lottie! Could only fit two in the car though so I'll have to get the other one on Monday, if it's still there! Skip raiding is excellent...should be introduced at the next Olympics

Regards,
Skanky Claire

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version