Author Topic: Onions  (Read 1799 times)

mickhindle

• Not So New ...
Onions
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:13:21 »
Hi All,
After resigning my self to as big failure this season on the onion front due to none of then growing particully well, I had sprayed the area with weedkiller to kill off the rapidly encroaching grasses. I am now finding that these onions have sprung into life, and are getting to a respectable size!
Question is, 1 - will these be safe to eat, and 2 - should i spray the rest of my plot in weedkiller as a jump start to my crops(only joking on point 2  :P)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:19:06 »
1 Depends on the weedkiller
2 Unlikely :D

mickhindle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:23:23 »
weedkiller is a glyphosate based formula

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:59:57 »
Your probably perfectly safe but there are issues surrounding glyphosate ...

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,53782.0.html - previous thread on the toxicity or not ..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 13:06:01 »
Lets put it this way.  If the onions were mine I would not eat them.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 13:11:52 »
me neither  :o

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 13:27:07 »
The fact that the onions are doing well, I doubt they absorbed any of the glyphosate, but I would not like to take that sort of risk where weed killer in involved, so no, don't eat them.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 14:37:52 »
I wouldn't eat them either...

Welcome to A4A Mick...  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 16:26:51 »
I'd eat them - if they weren't covered, I'd suspect onion fly - but I wouldn't repeat the glyphosate if at all possible. I wouldn't use it on open ground at all, but I've been using it under my hedges because there's no other way that I can see of getting the ground elder out.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 17:07:34 »
Eat them....

If we don't hear from you again, we know why.....
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 17:47:25 »
Don't think I would eat them either if you sprayed actually on them, what a shame.  Welcome to A4A Mick

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 21:29:18 »
From experience there can't be any gyphosphate in your onions, all the alliums are very susceptible, I've killed off entire rows with tiny amounts of spraydrift (ie spraying yards away with a moving barrier in flat calm conditions...)

I'd eat them, If they were transplanted seedlings then it might have been root-damage shock or one of several hydrological issues (too much, too little, either or both at the wrong time). If they were sets then I've no real idea (I don't grow sets and haven't done in years, though I might have a few from a friend this year...

chrisc

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 22:34:35 »
If the onions did not succumb to the glyphosate then I suspect they did not get a dose of it, which is amazing if you sprayed while they were in active growth. Glyphosate used to be thought of as a relatively benign herbicide but now I uderstand there is an argumant as to whether it really does break down as the manufacturers originally said.
Personally I find onions a very good cleaning crop. Some might be surprised at that statement. Basically because they don't cast much shade and the only way to get a crop is to get on your hands and knees and hand weed if you have a bad weed problem. I am strictly non chemical so no weedkillers for me on the food plot - on orders of the better half. In summer I always end up with dirty knees and a welly full of soil and small stones.
I think some commercial growers use black polythene mulch and cut slits , planting the onions through the slits.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 11:40:23 »
I really don't understand why you sprayed them, when hand weeding and mulching would have been the way forward, and no I wouldn't eat them.   ???      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

mickhindle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 14:31:28 »
I hadnt actully sprayed the growing onions...... the onion crop had failed from last years over wintered planting, so the grasses that had grown up while i left that section of my plot unused were what was sprayed.....and then lo and behold....this autumn up cxome my onions....but i dont think they will be eaten :-X

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 16:52:15 »
I think I misunderstood the question, how long was there between spraying and planting the onions.  ???   :-\       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal