Author Topic: Sweet Peas, to nip or not to nip...  (Read 7130 times)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Sweet Peas, to nip or not to nip...
« on: November 05, 2009, 17:47:39 »
I have sweet peas in the greenhouse, sown a couple of weeks ago now standing 7 or so cms tall, my plot neighbour said I should nip the top off with nails or scissor to encourage the sweet pea plant to bush out a bit more and be less spindly. Anyone have anything to say to that? Heard it  or done it before? Last year I let them be and they were ok, doubtless could have been better so...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Sweet Peas, to nip or not to nip...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 19:33:37 »
Red, had I been organised enough to have sown them & got them growing :o, yes, I'd pinch them out at 10cm or so....

So, on the back of that, sweet pea growers, would it be too late to sow some seeds indoors for quick germination, this weekend?

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 19:40:23 »
mine were sown just 2 weeks ago in a cold unheated greenhouse and have shot up, worth a punt! Thanks for nipping advice!  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 19:42:52 »
........and thanks for yours! 8)

There are some really expert sweetpea growers here - thinking ShirlTone for one - so before you get pinching, wait for other replies, eh?

Cheers!

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 19:51:19 »
Pinch the tops out when the plants are showing three true leaves. This encourages branching and development of strong stems.

However, I think it is too early for the plants to be that high at present. They should be outside where it is as cool as possible. Mine were sown about the middle of October. When they had reached approx half an inch high they were put outside into a cold frame without a top. The pots were embedded in used compost to give the roots a bit of protection should it freeze hard. They will be left in the cold frame overwinter, exposed to all the elements . In about March the tops will be pinched out and the plants transplanted into their flowering position.

No problem about sowing sweet peas in pots now and after germination keeping them cold until the spring. They can also be sown in the spring for later flowering to prolong the season.

Sweet peas are very hardy and autumn sown plants should not be 'molly-coddled' because otherwise they will get very leggy.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 19:56:52 »
thank you for the top tips!

Will pinch out current batch and then pop outside in cold frame (handy mine has no lid!! It broke!). I will sow some another batch tomorrow and when germinate pop them all together in the frame. I love them so can never have too many!!  ;)

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 20:49:16 »
I am planning to grow mine as cordons so I am planning not to pinch cause i have to grow them as single stems. Side shoots and tendrils removed. Only way to get plenty of long straight stems. Have to work out how I am going to get the supports organised.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 21:31:03 »
Thanks for the sowing tips from me, too. I've an unexpected free day tomorrow, so I'll be sowing mine too.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 22:52:57 »
Geoff H

If you are going to grow cordons then it is very important that you do pinch out the tops to encourage side shoots. Then, when you plant them out in the spring remove all but the strongest. side shoot. You will need 8' canes spaced about 9" apart and plant one plant at the base of each cane. As you said, remove any side shoots which develop on the single stem and any tendrils on the leaves. You will then have to tie the plants to the canes as they grow. When they reach the top you will have to layer them to extend the season.
If you know someone who grows for showing have a chat with him/her because it is a technique they use to get large flowers on very long strong stems.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:34:58 »
Mine were sown Oct 10th approx. They have been outside the whole time and are now about 2inches high with 2 pairs of leaves. I am not expecting them to reach 4 pairs until the early Spring(weather permitting) Its then that I will pinch the top. I am not growing cordon this year because of the intensive care that they need. They are going to be grown up 6 Wilkies arches all up the path at the allotment.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 20:55:22 »
Thanks for that Toadspawn. I am wondering how I am going to set up a system to hold the canes in place - wonder if I can find some metal poles. Don't want them to blow over. I am going for cordons cause i know they will sell as cut flowers on the market.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal