Author Topic: Saffron Crocus Bulbs  (Read 5414 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Saffron Crocus Bulbs
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:39:55 »
Hi

I heard Bunny Guiness on Gardeners Question Time talking about these. Has anyone tried them, and if so did you get some nice saffron to use?
I found these - are they the correct ones to try? http://www.dobbies.co.uk/acatalog/TAYLORS-SATIVUS-(SAFFRON-CROCUS)-BULBS-TP683-info.html?utm_source=base.google.com&utm_medium=product%2Bfeed&utm_campaign=Google%2BBase

Thanks

Sholls

• Acre
Re: Saffron Crocus Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 21:32:13 »
The name implies they're the 'right stuff', but neither the Taylors or Dobbies websites give much info. If no one comes back with a definitive answer I'll ask when I visit Dobbies HQ later in the week. ;) (Amazingly, Tesco haven't yet managed to replace all the nurserymen with clueless 'shop assistants').

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:21:54 »
Thanks Sholls, and you were right in pointing out that the web sites gave next to no info on them! So I'd appreciate it if you could ask for me

It's really just another sneaky way for me to get more "flowers" into the garden   ;) ;D

Thanks again

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:36:39 »
Dobbies have confirmed they're what you're looking for. :) I'm now the owner of 60 bulbs and, if I'm lucky, they'll yield 0.3-0.4g of dried saffron next autumn. ::) I think the other inhabitants of chez Sholls will keel over when they discover I've bought 'flower' bulbs. ;D

I did a bit of searching before heading out, WikiP have some decent pictures.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:42:02 »
Thanks Sholls! I'll be putting my order in  - looking forward to trying them out. I'll try and remember to post the results of my harvest!

Happy "flower" gardening  ;)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:31:00 »
Been reading the wikki link and it looks like some early starts an no autumn holidays !
" Only in mid-autumn do they flower. Harvests are by necessity a speedy affair: after blossoming at dawn, flowers quickly wilt as the day passes. Furthermore, saffron crocuses bloom within a period of one or two weeks. "

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:47:31 »
I've never found a problem with flowers wilting - it's not usually warm enough in september/october? Delicious with figs which crop at the same time  :D

More of a problem is that (like other crocuses), there isn't much to see above ground for a lot of the year and it's easy to lose them or plant something else over them. You do need to divide/replant after a few years too.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 13:27:44 »
I would like to try these too ....How will you dry your saffron?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 13:33:56 »
I would like to try these too ....How will you dry your saffron?

Duke
That's the next step in my learning curve  ::)
But if anyone has tried it I'd be very interested to know!

Ceratonia - thanks for your info and the reminder about where to plant. I'm going to try a few in some pots in the garden and the rest in a patch on the allotment, which I'm going to have other flowers on etc And your mention of figs ...... YUM !

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 20:16:19 »
My bulbs were already beginning to form roots 'n' shoots when I bought them; they've been in the pots a week & they're looking good.  ;D (Lots of greenery.)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 20:26:03 »
0.3g ! I would not sneeze near it. In fact I would not breathe near it. I understood you needed acres of them to be a viable proposition but if you are doing it for fun whats the harm. I came across a bit of set aside that was full of crocus. When I enquired I was told that it had been investigated and they put them down to being the last living remains of a roman saffron 'plantation'. Great if it is true, but still a nice story if it isn't.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 07:05:54 »
now that would be a great story Ace - can anything be shown from the genetics of the plants as to age etc? or is that just bones and trees ::)

Sholls you're ahead of me - haven't even ordered mine yet!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal