Author Topic: Will wild birds eat packets of seeds that I don#t want  (Read 1546 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Will wild birds eat packets of seeds that I don#t want
« on: October 26, 2009, 00:53:01 »
Hi. I have quite a few packets of seeds that I don't want and was wondering if I mixed them in a suet ball if the wild birds would eat them. I know they will  eat the sunflowers and I know not to use any treated ones but what about say flower seeds or lettuce , cabbage etc.

I get quite a lot of birds off my patio(not allowed bird feeders here in our complex but I do it anyway) Chickadees, Juncos,Blue Jays. Evening Grosbeaks and Goldfinches mostly but we get a Northern Flicker and a Downy Woodpecker sometimes oh and the Humming Birds at my nectar feeder .  I know their likes with commercial food but no idea about flower or veggie seeds.

I would appreciate any ideas

XX jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Will wild birds eat packets of seeds that I don#t want
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:43:03 »
All seeds are packed with energy which is what the birds want from them.

Old seeds probably do not have the same quality as fresh ones but beggars cant be choosers can they?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Will wild birds eat packets of seeds that I don#t want
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 21:36:08 »
Some seeds are dressed with pesticides, and quite a few are poisonous.  I don't think I'd chance it.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal