Poll

Themed or any pictures taken during the previous month?

Themed
9 (52.9%)
Any
8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 23, 2009, 13:04:10

Author Topic: Monthly Competition Returns - theme or not to theme (that is the question...)  (Read 2252 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Going to revert back to the monthly competitions for the moment as they always seemed very popular.  Naturally, when Ken returns, it'll be up to him how he wishes to continue with the comps :)

Would just like to get some input on whether to stick with any subject taken during the previous month or whether to pick specific subjects?

I'd like to get a comp going at the end of this month for pics taken in October so I'll leave this poll for a few days :)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
I'll leave the vote open til the weekend and then gather some entries for October!  :D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Oh Sugar! :'(

I'm now too late to vote cos I've only just got back from hol. but my vote would have been, without a moment's hesitation, for a return to the tried-and-tested format of 'Any' - which would have brought the Poll to level pegging.

Two points I'd like to make, please, in support of the Open Monthly competition which Dan had running all that time ago when we Beeb gardeners came over here:-

I don't post pix, ever,  but for all the time that the Monthly Comp. was running I never missed a month's vote (OK, except for when I was away and had no Internet access :-[) I loved the variety of pictures posted and still can bring to mind some memorable ones, random pix taken during the previous month.....there was Robert Benchley's picture of the lane leading to his allotment site in winter; there was (I think) Heldi(?)s pic taken on a windy day of her children 'flying' with their coats as wings, down a hillside - and who doesn't remember doing the same when we were young? That was a glorious moment captured. Then there was a summer picture I loved - the essence of rural France to me.....baking hot sleepy day, an old bike with the pannier planted out with flowers, leaning against a dry-stone wall...and then there are others I can still recall.....skies, seas, birds and animals...random snaps, all lovely, all taken during the previous month. And I wonder if these would have been shown when Ken introduced his 'themed' categories?

My second point I'd like to make, please, is that, fair do's to Ken for trying something different, but....entries dropped off and so did votes during that time. I'm on record here for asking Ken to audit numbers (surely the only judge of popularity?) and he said that he would, but they never materialized :-\

For me, Ken's format didn't work and I didn't even bother to look at the Competition entries.

I look forward to seeing the random pictures posted this month - and I'll be voting 8)

Happy snapping everyone!

Lishka

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
I suppose the obvious answer is to have both as well as the 'digitally altered' pics - some of those were absolutely hilarious

fwiw  :-\

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Keep them coming, the more the merrier :)  Just five days left to enter!  Check your pics as I'm sure you all have something lovely to enter :) Hopefully get some nice colourful halloween entries after the weekend  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:58:31 by SamLouise »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal