Author Topic: Notes for next year - in case I forget!  (Read 5368 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Re: Notes for next year - in case I forget!
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 07:16:08 »
Might have to try some of that - Cavalo Nero that is.

I've grown dwarf curly kale for the last couple of years, the cabbage whites don't touch that.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:30 »

PS I'm thinking Sungold and Brandywine for toms next year. Latah tastes of cardboard, or at least mine did. Anyone grown tasty ones?
It may be a climate difference, Robin., but my Brandywines became huge, tall, rangey Beasts of plants, perhaps half again larger than my regular toms but not that many fruits though what they produced were large. My supports weren't tall or strong enough by August so I'll revert to Anna Russian and some others for a large tom.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 10:36:39 »
Grow in the walk-in coldframe: 1 hybrid green pepper "New Ace" (worked great and still eating them, and the plant is loaded with many sizes still)
                                                 1 aubergine ( a small variety did well, might try a larger one)
                                                 1 cherry tom ( I'm really missing toms now and am sure we'd be eating                  them still if I'd put a plant in there

Find rectangular tubs for lettuce to utilize the wall space better
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:09 »
I'm trying to be be more organised at the end of the season as per TeeGee's wise words, I've had my manure delivery already and the beds that are clear are dug over and topped up. Being not very well the first half of this year has taught me to 'make hay while the sun shines', so whilst I am fighting fit I'm making the most of it and getting things done while I can. I'm concentrating on working on clearing the half plot next to mine and getting that up to scratch ready for next year, that is looking much better now the paths are complete and some overwintering alliums are in.

I have also appraised my crops performance this year and decided on what will be given a second chance next (e.g. Legend tomatoes, Winston potatoes) and what won't (Pink popcorn sweetcorn, Tutankhamen peas), but as for only looking through seed catalogues once..I can't do that! :o ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal