Author Topic: Green Tiger tomatoes have reappeared in M&S  (Read 1388 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Green Tiger tomatoes have reappeared in M&S
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:59:10 »
Thought you might like to know they are in the London Moorgate branch now, may be in other large stores and/or posh locations.

They are pricey at over £2 for half a pound (220+gr) but since that's the equivalent of at least 10 packets of seed you are saving around twenty quid!

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Green Tiger tomatoes have reappeared in M&S
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:07:11 »
Vinlander - do they always come true from seed??

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 18:09:03 »
Must have a look next time I'm in town and have a go at seed saving. (that is, if we like the taste  ::) ::) ::) )
The Tuscan Beaneater

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 23:41:54 »
Yes the green tigers have come true so far - this means a few dozen plants over 3 years and maybe 10 second generation plants too - all significant traits seem to be maintained.

I've also given similar numbers of plants away to friends with no complaints - though they don't expect much more than stripes and a good flavour!

Go for it. Sowing seeds from stuff you've already tasted beats de-spinning seed catalogue blurbs any day - all the tomato seeds I've liked and done this way have come true to pretty much the same degree - Santa, Jester, Dolce etc.

So called F1 hybrids seem no different - I'm beginning to wonder how many really are  F1 and how many are simply seeds they don't want us to keep.

So far the same strategy is also working for chilli peppers - in fact it's better than saving my own chilli seed because mine cross-fertilise madly whereas the commercial growers tend to grow acres of the same variety.

Actually I grow mainly mild and half-hot chillis so so I don't get any fatal shocks as long as I keep my very few hot chilli plants well separated from the rest!

Good Luck.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal