Author Topic: HEDGEHOG SCALPING  (Read 971 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
HEDGEHOG SCALPING
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:20:26 »
oops excuse the caps!
we came across a dead baby hedgehog onsite,rather sadly grotesque with his little feet eaten off and his tongue hanging out......then two days later,another,this time just a pelt,ie just the spines,no sign of any body.any idea whats happened to the little ones,esp the one that only remained as a pelt?we are thinking pellets?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: HEDGEHOG SCALPING
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:37:55 »
My first thougt was attacked by a fox, but would they get past all those spines?

I did a google, and yes, it may be a fox, but badgers are a bigger threat.

Here is nice page I get that from...
http://www.hedghogz.co.uk/hedgehogs/hazards.php

It's a bit of a shame to lose them, I have not seen a hhog in years, but would love it if they visited my plot.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:50:15 »
we found a young hog on our lawn in the summer in a similar condition and attributed it to the young foxes which were born behind our shed in the spring. it was a sad sight indeed. but...it is the first sign of hedgehogs in the garden for a year or two and i have since seen evidence of others too.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:12:11 »
thanks for replying folks. i shuld add we found an alive one,wandering around in the day time,presumably out of bed at that time of day as he was hungry? he let us hand feed him some worms! we re homed a pair of hogs from a rescue centre earlier this year,so are hoping these are the result of them breeding,apart from the fact that 2 have snuffed it that is.
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:02:38 »
foxes regularly turn them inside out for a meal. Foxes are cute, but have no predators in the UK. As their numbers rise, there will be a steady decline in other small mammals. :(
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal