Poll

We're setting up new allotments and hope to have 100 plots of varying sizes. We need to know how many car parking spaces to allow. Based on YOUR OWN allotment, how many do we need? (For example, if you have 40 allotment holders on your site and there are

70+

Author Topic: Car parking spaces required for our new allotments  (Read 7084 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: Car parking spaces required for our new allotments
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 10:31:19 »
We have about 50 plotholders and a carpark that could probably fit 6-8 cars at a push. The site does have 3 separate entrances though and some people do park on the street (residential area, but there are some spaces).

I wouldn't worry about setting up a large carpark, unless there is completely no parking avaliable outside.  Have a few spaces avaliable. Keeping the communal areas to a minimum is probably a good idea. All these areas need maintaining and volunteers are not always forthcoming. I would just stick to what is needed.

I rarely see more than 8 cars parked around our site at any one time (even weekends). Many people never bring cars to the site at all.

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 10:39:28 »
Quote from: saddad link=topic=55734.msg566768# If I get my way the site will be pedestrianised!!  :-X
[/quote

Do I remember that the site is at the end of your garden?  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 10:53:21 »
I'm with Sparkly on this one, even at the busiest times of year there are rarely more than 8 or 10 cars max, and its a large site. Lots of us walk to site and only use cars for lugging heavy or bulky stuff up there

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 21:56:20 »
We have over 100 plots and 10 or so spaces dotted around. ....... I've never seen the car spaces all taken.

Same on our site too.  Most people walk to our site as it is on the outskirts of town. No complaints so far.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

HAA

• Not So New ...
    • Hook Association
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 15:34:51 »
Can I say thank you all very much for the fantastic response to my question. The local councillor is trying to argue for 50+ car park spaces for our 100 allotments. From your opinions here, that looks way over the top and 10-20 should be enough.

Many thanks. I'll use the evidence here to argue with them!

Kind regards,

Pete
Hook Allotments Association

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 15:44:08 »
we've just had a car park built and we have more plots than you at least 150, the car park has never been full as far as i'm aware and there is room for about 20 cars if carefully parked. During summer people can take their cars nearer their plots though.

HAA

• Not So New ...
    • Hook Association
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 18:07:51 »
Kea - thanks. Can you clarify if people can mainly walk to the site or do most users drive?

Pete

we've just had a car park built and we have more plots than you at least 150, the car park has never been full as far as i'm aware and there is room for about 20 cars if carefully parked. During summer people can take their cars nearer their plots though.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 18:10:06 »
One thing I would say is it is very handy to have some open space for when the plot holders want do do open days and such. :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 18:50:30 »
Communal area, excellent idea.  And defo somewhere for the site hut and loo.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 18:54:48 »
HAA/Pete many of my plot neighbours live close to the site so walk. Others who live further away drive.
As Betula and Unwashed say an open space is a good idea. We use ours to have a site BBQ and get-together a couple of times a year.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 19:04:15 »
The missing bit of info is how near you expect most tenants to live... Also if you'll allow sheds you need less parking. In general I'd agree with others, no need for too many - 20 should be fine!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 19:06:20 »
You remember correctly oldhippy... I do live on site. Pedestrianisation is an option as plotholders block the alleys by parking outside, or in my eyes worse still ON their plots.. access to parking areas would not be affected... we have @20-25 spaces for 110 members (175 plots).
 :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal