Author Topic: Why don't worms like my compost?  (Read 1503 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Why don't worms like my compost?
« on: October 17, 2009, 16:16:30 »
When I opened my compost bin today (plastic dalek type), I found lots of worms around the rim, as if they were trying to escape. What is the likely reason for this? I'm thinking too dry,so have wetted it a bit. Any other ideas? It ismanily food waste plus some garden waste and shredded paper.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Why don't worms like my compost?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 16:21:38 »
I have found the same thing Caroline with my plastic 'dalek' bun, but to be honest it didn't occur to me that they might not be happy as I have always found they do that! ::) My compost made in that bin has always been fine, plenty of worms in it when it was dug out. ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 16:26:48 »
My worms do that also.  I just make sure they don't fall on the ground or escape when I am adding to the bin.  I don't think they can live in normal soil.  I take it as a sign all is well.  My dialeks make super compost.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 16:29:00 »
Sometimes it's because it is too wet (add paper/card) or because there is insufficient air (turn the heap or at least fork over the top of it). Sometimes they just choose to rest there.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 16:38:30 »
If  the compost looks too wet as B/M says add paper etc..  I layer what I put in and use shredded paper as one layer.  I bought a cheap shredder for documents but I it is very useful for the above.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 17:12:14 »
If the contents of my bins are wet I find worms on the sides and lids. I just leave them and they soon settle down. Compost worms move through the soil, or they wouldn't find your bins. They don't die just like that.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 18:01:38 »
Thanks. Having made it even wetter, maybe I'll go and put some more paper in- I've got a bagful ready and waiting. :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 19:24:48 »
I have always had the Tiger Worms sitting on the lids, I just thought they were worm models trying to get down to a size zero.     ;D ;D ;D  :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 22:27:00 »
this is what i find also especially when we have had lots of wet weather, the only thing is my bins are completely covered from the rain so the compost never gets overly wet ???. i generally just throw them back in.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 22:56:49 »
Thifasmom .....I am sure you onced abused your chilli plants and now you are throwing back the worms that have tried to run for freedom :P

I have the same on my compost bin ~~ little wriggly things sitting on the rim under the lid some of them fall onto the floor ...I am just glad they are there :)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 23:14:22 »
Thifasmom .....I am sure you onced abused your chilli plants and now you are throwing back the worms that have tried to run for freedom :P
Duke

rofl, that made me burst out laughing ;D. i live by the saying treat them mean and keep them keen, for all things ;).

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 19:20:48 »
worms leaveing the compost usually means they aint happy there is a problem , be it to wet to hot or something that they are not keen on been put in
worms dont seem to handle to much of certain things  be it citrus fruit or peelings, onions ,grapefruit .

but be sure there is a bit of a problem if everything is good in the wormery they have no reason to try to leave after all its worm heaven
i have loads of wormeries and have suffered total worm migration from wormeries and each and every time its been my fault
worms are simple creatures they dont even have a brain
so check out youre bins
is it ;
to wet
or dry
what have you added recently
does it smell sour
does it smell of amonia
are there pests in the bin ie ants

have they got food
im no expert people  just trying to help  atb mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 14:38:36 »
How about because the contents got too hot !! ??   :-\

Whenever my bins are working well the heat is amazing and the worms fly up to the top !!  I just leave the lid off for a day and then things calm down again !!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal