Author Topic: Yacon  (Read 1313 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Yacon
« on: October 16, 2009, 21:43:49 »
Curiosity got the better of me and I chopped down one of my yacon plants growing outside to see what the state of play is. The result is 3.25kg of good quality tubers which is 0.25kg better than the one I grew in the polytunnel last year.

Ready or not, they all have to start making their way into warmer positions before many more weeks but I will leave a few out until the foliage gets singed.

It was too dark to photograph the actual plant but I will try to do another at the weekend. The 35 litre pots appear to be a good size as the next size up would take 2 people to tip it up without risking injury to man or tubers.

Cameo appearance of Pus Puss.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Yacon
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 23:54:03 »
Like the sweet potatoes I have them in the big greenhouse so will leave them a week or two yet..  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 18:05:55 »
They are looking good Eristic, conditions must have suited them. I'm leaving mine for as long as poss as I'm still eating last years!

Your cat looks content sitting there, its amazing how they love boxes, newspapers etc, and never seem to grow out of them!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 21:21:38 »
my Yacon is still going strong, so I intend to leave until the frost clips it. I also think that mine might be starting to flower but not sure so I will keep an eye on it.

That crop does look nice. I hope they taste nice too. first year of growing them

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 23:44:00 »
After a bit of a frost Saturday night, Sunday has been nice and sunny. Here's a few pics as promised.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal