Author Topic: What would you say to some Japanese visitors?  (Read 4667 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
What would you say to some Japanese visitors?
« on: October 11, 2009, 17:57:42 »
Our allotment site has been asked to host a visit by a group of Japanese local government officers who are doing a course on Urban Green Spaces at a Birmingham university. 

They would like to look around the site and then..... I AM SUPPOSED TO BE GIVING THEM A TALK!!  :o  :o  :o (I didn't know about this when I agreed to the visit)

I have spoken on the radio before but I tend to ramble and get more and more anorakkish the longer I talk. I'm not shy about talking to a group but I want to make it interesting for them. Obviously, I will need to keep it simple because of the language problem. 

If YOU were giving the talk, what sort of things would you talk about? Would it be a good idea to give them a print-out about our site?
Any ideas?

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: What would you say to some Japanese visitors?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 18:08:55 »
I'm someone who's never had trouble talking, gibberish mostly...but as you want to avoid that .I'd pick a theme i.e the community side or the diversity of crops can you have any props ?what about pumpkins?anything that creates a talking point.Having a theme should mean that if you feel yourself rambling you could drag yourself back by returning to your theme.that way you could talk broadly about the allotments without straying too much see now I'm rambling :-X
re a print out I'd say less is more ,brief but interesting points
sanity is overated

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 18:26:08 »
"HARROW!" would be a good start

I had to do that once - to a group of University researchers looking at my Novel Materials. I was completely relaxed about it until the Dept Head came in 2 MINUTES before them and gave me 2 laminated a4 sheets on What Not To Do In Front Of Japanese People he'd got from another university. Didn't even have time to read it. I went to pieces  ;D The B@rsteward
They were impressed with my manner apparently, but it was just blind panic

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 18:31:34 »
Rhubarb Thrasher I think it's a bit far for them to come and look round my plot, and perhaps not really the best of places to start!  LOL!   :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 19:04:35 »
Squash Betty. Always talk about something you know about and you will be ok. Ask them if they have any free seeds while you are at it ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 19:22:41 »
the clue is in the title
'urban Green Spaces' is what they after.
talk about the health benefits of allotments (physical and mental health), ethnic diversity, inclusion, cooking skills, local food (food miles), organic methods perhaps? etc etc, ;)
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 19:23:15 »
nearly forgot, what about a couple of minutes on scarecrows? LOL
You couldn't make it up!

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 19:31:35 »
In my previous life I used to meet with lots of Japanese buisness people (amongst other races);  and their wives who were living with them in the UK.

They are the most polite and humble people I dealt with.  The chances are they will speak some English, they are not rude so please don't think you can mess it up. Just speak in basic English, show them what you want to, and remember basic manners, smile alot etc.

I have loads of Japanese gifts from a pen pal I made through the business, it includes two silk kimonos, pencil cases, dolls, rolls of printed silk, pictures...

When they visited our factory (the wives a few visits in) they used to bake Japanese cakes for all of us.

Relax and enjoy - Coco x

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 20:09:39 »
up to about 100 years ago, the Japanese diet was almost entirely vegetarian (apart from fish) so veg is obviously very important to them.
They also went through their own bank crisis in the 90s, so I bet they had a lot of people turning to growing their own like we are right now.
They must also be looking at what they've done in Cuba, who now grow about 90% of their own produce, after Russian aid dried up after the fall of the Soviet Union

here's a nice piece about someone looking at Urban Farming/ Community Gardens in Japan - she was very impressed
http://www.mail-archive.com/community_garden@list.communitygarden.org/msg09052.html

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 20:38:03 »
I would put some notes on little cards so that if something disturbs you it is easy to get back on track.

I worked for a Japanese co for a while and found they had a major lack of humour especially in a work situation.  For the most part they treated me as if I was part of the furniture. 

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:55:13 »
Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.  I'm quite calm at the moment but things might change before next week.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 09:11:09 »
the clue is in the title
'urban Green Spaces' is what they after.
talk about the health benefits of allotments (physical and mental health), ethnic diversity, inclusion, cooking skills, local food (food miles), organic methods perhaps? etc etc, ;)

ethnic diversity, inclusion and food miles won't really be understood by the japanese, their culture is pretty wierd and doesn't really ever have to confront such issues..... Japanese men won't be interested in cooking skills either.... I did Japanese language and culture at college and we get a fair few Japanese visitiros (nearly all men) at work ....completely different world-view really.... They'd understand physical and mental health aspects though....

chrisc

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 10:10:58 »
Do you know how long you are meant to talk for? If so give yourself a list of headings, think (roughly) what you want to say under each heading and give it a few dry runs against the clock. You don't need to cover everything and it doesn't matter what you miss out (they don't know what's on your list)!! Don't try to script it too carefully. If you do that and you lose the place you'll panic. You know about this stuff and you love it so speak from the heart, smile and enjoy it. If you run out of things to say ask for questions. The Japanese I have met like to ask questions! Good luck.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 10:53:02 »

it will be great enjoy the experience!

talk slowly and ask them some questions so that you get them talking you have a dialogue rather than a monologue

they will interpret your words literally so be aware that they may not undersand the similes and word pictures that we all use to embroider our normal language

eg I was over the moon!

enjoy it and talk about what you love about allotmenteering and it will be great

give a handout at the end - they will read it after your talk not during it

dax

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 11:03:25 »
I'd include a v brief history of how allotments came about.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 12:13:30 »
Who's the audience - local government officer, so give a talk like you'd give to the man from the council.
Ie more of the benefits (health, quality, community, cost, why/what the current demand is etc) and less of the how to grow - although you could send them away with a little packet of seeds each.

I'd use lots and lots of visual aids to help their understanding, and a handout that they can look at back at the hotel/home.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 18:56:10 »
Hope you know your ONIONS Betty.     ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 19:23:42 »
you could make them feel at home and do your presentation as a karaoke number

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 19:28:36 »
what a lovely thing to be asked to do,i really hope you enjoy iy,good luck!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal