Author Topic: Weed control - FABRIC v. BLACK PLASTIC  (Read 9442 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Weed control - FABRIC v. BLACK PLASTIC
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 19:17:38 »
British soils have what's called a 'positive water budget', ie more water falls on them from the sky than evaporates or is transpired by plants. This is particularly true in winter, when little transpiration occurs. So water tends to move downward through the soil, carrying anything soluble with it. That results in the removal of nutrients, a process known as 'leaching'. It's nothing to do with any mysterious 'they'.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 20:17:34 »
Good post Robert

This time of year I cant see a reason for covering as weeds dont grow.  Dig in some muck and let nature do its thing.  I cover using SPM in courgette and chilli beds in spring summer - mainly because I am not a big waterer (time constraints).  The winter is a time to really improve the soil.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 09:16:10 »
Like everything else in life Its amatter of choice. To cover or not to cover.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 12:01:08 »
Interesting debate this. I also treat manure as a soil improver, and have tried both applying a thick layer of manure and covering beds with black plastic overwinter, and leaving others uncovered, and covering them a few weeks before wanting to plant up in Spring.

The results seem to depend on the weather; I have had some beds remain very dry when covered all winter, and instead of finding nice worm worked friable soil, uncovered dried out lumpy manure that had remained as it went on virtually, and was a devil to fork in.  On the other hand, uncovered beds remained more moist and broke down more overwinter, but were quick to sprout many weeds as soon as the weather warmed up a bit and certainly lost some of their bulk.

This year I'm making sure the manure and underlying soil gets well soaked before covering some that I will not need to use before  April, and my potato beds that I will leave uncovered until early March, when I will cover them to warm the soil a bit before planting my earlies.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 15:08:52 »
Tee Gee - I am using sea weed not just as a soil improver - but fertiliser as well.

If you check out most liquid fertilisers one of their main constituents is seaweed.  I am not using manure this year due to the amni thingemybob.  And my general compost is pretty good stuff!

But as you say - each to their own - this year I will be trying out the plastic so will see how it goes.

Lewic - my beds are deep beds so don't get walked on and compacted at all - so no worries about slipping on the plastic!  I am sure that I will get all manner of weeds - but I doubt any more than usual annuals - which - with deep beds are no problem to remove!

O B

;)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 15:36:45 »
I am using sea weed not just as a soil improver - but fertiliser as well.

Interesting!!

But remember! that seaweed based fertilisers are high in potash (tomato feed) and if you are growing brassicas you might find you have to supplement your beds with nitrogen at planting out time!

I found the following article in a an old book I have and thought it might be of interest to you;

Seaweed.

A valuable subsititute for dung.

Compared with this, seaweed is rich in potash and almost lacking in phosphates, so is even more in need of balancing with chemicals.

Seaweed may either be dug in as gathered at rates of about 1 cwt. to 8 square yards or may be dried and dug in at about 1 cwt. to 24 square yards.

The bladder seaweeds and driftweeds with long, broad frortds are the best kinds.

Analysis varies according to variety.

An average for fresh seaweed is nitrogen 0.5% (7 Ib. per ton), phosphoric acid 0.2% (2 Ib. per ton), potash 1% (20 Ib." per ton).

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 16:28:36 »
Tee Gee

I also throw on a lot (and I mean a lot!) of spent coffee beans - which I am led to believe are high in nitrogen!?  I am actually not very good at the chemical side of things but I have been told that the beans are high in nitrogen which the worms are said to love?!!

Thanks for the old book excerpt (sorry brain gone to mush and I can't spell this afternoon) I will re-look at it on Monday morning as my brain needs a rest.

Have a good weekend!

Old Bird

;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 21:16:03 »
I find the weeds tend to grow quite well enough over the winter, but like TG I like the elements to get at the soil - just think of the weeds as a green manure.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal