Author Topic: Yellow Tomatoes  (Read 5766 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Yellow Tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:28 »
I don't grow any paler tomatoes than that one so I don't know how that happened, must be a natural mutation! ???

I've never isolated tomatoes, very few seem to cross, but as you say some just seem to fail to come true after a while.... ::).
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 07:52:34 »
I have a potato leaf white... and If I saved seed from a plant from you... have you had them for at least two seasons?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 07:57:26 »
Found it:

"Tomato - Lycopersicon esculentum
PLANT: Separate varieties with short styles (most modern varieties) by at least 10 feet. Varieties with long styles (heirlooms and older varieties) need at least 100 feet to ensure purity. If solitary bees are prevalent, separate all varieties at least 100 feet and place another flowering crop between."

http://www.seedsave.org/issi/904/beginner.html#anchor005

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 08:30:43 »
That conflicts with the advice from HDRA... but would probably explain some slight crossing. I pack them in 12 different plants in a 8x6 and in 20 years have only had problems with two varieties... three if this Garden Peach isn't true..
 :-[

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 09:21:19 »
I grew yellow peach this year - got the plant from Homebase, couldn't resist. It is really quite furry and excellent flavour. Assume its the same as garden peach, but mine looked furrier than in your pic Deb wouldn't have got any reflection off mine! Would certainly grow again.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 09:29:42 »
I think the photo posted I took right at the end of the season of 2008, (that was the second season I grew them, seeds originally form Nicky's Seeds) and the last few tomatoes were a bit under ripe and not as furry as the earlier ones. A few also had a pink tinge to them as well..lovely taste though! I think yellow peach is the same as Garden Peach, and I thought the red version that I also grow 'Fuzzy' is the same as 'Red Peach' but David think not.........a lovely thing to eat anyway! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 09:47:07 »
That conflicts with the advice from HDRA...

I think thay may be saying the same thing but in a slighly different way  ???

"Pollination and Isolation
Most tomatoes are not capable of cross-pollination because in modern varieties the flowers are perfect and self-pollinating (the female stigma is inside a cone of male anthers). This means that different varieties can be grown close together.

However, there are three exceptions: currant tomatoes (Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium), potato leaved varieties, and double blossoms on beefsteak varieties. These often have a protruding stigma and are able to cross-pollinate, especially if there are other protruding-stigma varieties in the vicinity. To be absolutely certain, check a few newly opened flowers using a hand lens. The green stigmas will protrude from the anther tube. For safety, you could grow just one protruding stigma variety a year. If you are growing more than one 'protruding stigma' type, you need to bag the individual trusses or isolate these plants in a mesh cage. The flowers will self-pollinate within the cage or bag."

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/hsl/seed_saving/ssg12_tomatoes.php

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 10:17:31 »
I'm another one that loves Golden Sunrise. First time with it this year and it was lovely and sweet, very prolific and still producing in the garden right now.
A real hit with us.  :)

Very interested in these 'peachy' tomatoes. Might have to go searching the suppliers for some yellow ones as they sound lovely.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 11:00:14 »
If you are prepared to risk a slight chance of "outbreeding" I can let you have some "cream" Garden Peach...  :-[

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 21:32:13 »
Thats really kind, I'd love to try some. Thanks.  :)

If you pm your address I'll pop you a SAE in the post.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 22:56:31 »
Having give this question a lot of thought I have to say  first it would depend on the flavour you want , the density of colour, the size and the yield also if you can easily get the seeds.

Basinga has an excellent deep yellow colour right through, so for colour I would pick this one it  is beefsteak and has a mild sweet taste. a bit sweet for me but the yield is high.

Yellow Brandywine, the Platfoot strain though I prefer for it's rich taste but the growing season is long so needs to be in a greenhouse in the UK.Yield is moderate.

I also love Hughs, another beefsteak, the taste is super, yield is very good , the down side for some is the fruit is soft and does not stay long on the vine, this has never been a problem for me.

Manyel is supposed to the best tasting, I think Yellow Brandywine has more tang. Manyel does have a high yield and it is a mid season tom with a smaller size than the beefsteaks so it is right up there,

For a cherry as far as I am concerned there is no contest..Sungold..but it is orange.I did not like Sungella at all!!

All in all if I had to pick just one (other than Sungold)  I would have a hard time choosing between Hughs and The Platfoot strain of Brandywine yellow. If it helps the Platfoot is a deep gold whereas the Hughs is a clear pale yellow. I* would grow both!!

Have fun. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 10:13:53 »
Thank you one and all!
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal