Author Topic: Am I to Late !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3616 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Am I to Late !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 13, 2009, 14:05:54 »
I have been busy marvelling and eating my first years produce, that while I have put most of my beds to sleep for the winter, I realise that maybe I could have been  growing for the autumn/winter sorry a real newbie.I hope there is something I could get in so that there will be goodies growing till xmas.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Re: Am I to Late !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 14:41:47 »
onions, garlic some peas (meteor) and broad beans can all go in now, you won't be eating them at Christmas but they will be growing! :)

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 15:18:15 »
Brilliant reddyreddy I am going to get them in this Saturday.
What a brill life having an allotment.Can't believe how much fun it is, it takes me away from all the stresses of work and home when In I am down on the plot by myself should have got one years ago lolxxx

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 15:38:19 »
I hope there is something I could get in so that there will be goodies growing till xmas.

A bit late for that now unless you have a polytunnel/greenhouse but there are a number of things you can be doing for an early harvest next year.

Have a look at Sept/Oct here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Indexes/index.htm

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 22:15:27 »
Also now is the time to put Spring Cabbage plants.
The onions you need are the Japanese overwintering sort.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 22:50:20 »
 ???Thanks George do I need to plant seeds or cabbage plants now?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 02:49:24 »
???Thanks George do I need to plant seeds or cabbage plants now?

plants for the cabbages (other brassicas are available) ... onion sets would be radar, electric, troy , senshyu and other japanese varieties...

garlic ... any seed variety  but avoid any called xx wight for ethical reasons.... shallot sets can go in soon too, broadbean aquadulce or sutton in a few weeks... or stick some in now.....ditto pea meteor, protect them until they germinate though...mice and pigeons....

love how stress dissappears on the plot....

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:16:05 »
garlic ... any seed variety  but avoid any called xx wight for ethical reasons....

Why??
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 10:53:57 »
I have bought Solent Wight from Suttons Seeds. Do they get it from the GF or is the variety grown by them? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 16:40:36 »
No idea, but a lot of these firms source their goods elsewhere, so I'd be very suspicious. I bought from him some years ago, before we found out about how he poisoned his workers. It's good garlic, but I wouldn't go back to him!

Music is supposed to be a good variety.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 16:47:28 by Robert_Brenchley »

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 17:00:20 »
Yes. I noticed today that our local Homebase had Purple Wight for sale (probably left over from the beginning of the year)

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 00:42:58 »
I have Iberian Wight and the growers are these people http://www.taylors-bulbs.com/1/default.asp

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 03:18:04 »
I have Iberian Wight and the growers are these people http://www.taylors-bulbs.com/1/default.asp

Almost certainly sourced from GF.... the "Wight" is the giveaway....

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 08:35:21 »
I too bought my garlic from taylors at RHS Wisley, it's already gone in the ground but I will be more carfeul next year.  :o

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 09:12:14 »
Music is supposed to be a good variety.

I'm a big fan. ;D It's a hardneck, so milder than your average softneck, but the cloves are fat and tasty.

Seed garlic is 80p a bulb from the Really Garlicky co. That said, I've had great results from food grade cloves, so check out their 'outlet' page. If you do have a stockist locally try some of their 'Patagonian Purple' when it appears around Christmas/New Year, the cloves are even plumper than those from 'Music'. (I planted some in pots at the beginning of February and got a good crop, most of which has been replanted).

I was tempted to get some garlic from Seeds of Italy, but space, or lack thereof, prevented me from splurging. :(

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 21:53:45 »
I am curious to know why people dont want to buy any type of garlic that has "wight" in the name.

from all the links provided. it appears the chap called Boswell has now left his very large farm that produced lots of garlic and it has been took over by some one else, who I am sure is law abiding. So why not support them if you like their garlic

second I know a link stated that Boswell has set up another farm but only grows about 3 tons per year and he sells that at local farmers markets. So he is not selling to seed suppliers.

lastly, I would not imagine he has copy right on the various types of garlic, so any one can grow them, the different types of wight could be grown any where by any one? If this is the case, why not buy your favourite variety of wight garlic..... or have I missed some thing.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 09:07:53 »
I wasn't aware that Boswell had left the GF.... interesting.... All  of the "Wight" varieties are registered to  Garlic Farm. As it's a rather "niche" product in this country none of the big commercial seed merchants (or at least the agricultural; arms of the big seed merchants) can be bothered with it, but the ones serving the amateur growers (or the horticultural arms) would consider it a must-have.... therefore room for subcontractors like the GF.... combined with their geographical position (and therefopre their consistently high crop-yield)  and previous business practices that kept costs low..... Therefore all the horticultural seed merchants get their garlic from a very few sources of which GF was the leader in the field (if you'll pardon the pun)both for quality of harvest and their ability to deliver it at low prices....

I am curious to know why people dont want to buy any type of garlic that has "wight" in the name.

from all the links provided. it appears the chap called Boswell has now left his very large farm that produced lots of garlic and it has been took over by some one else, who I am sure is law abiding. So why not support them if you like their garlic

second I know a link stated that Boswell has set up another farm but only grows about 3 tons per year and he sells that at local farmers markets. So he is not selling to seed suppliers.

lastly, I would not imagine he has copy right on the various types of garlic, so any one can grow them, the different types of wight could be grown any where by any one? If this is the case, why not buy your favourite variety of wight garlic..... or have I missed some thing.

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 09:19:32 »
I wasn't aware that Boswell had left the GF.... interesting....

He hasn't, see: http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/garlicfarmer.aspx

When I returned my manky elephant garlic it was a chap named Colin who contacted me, presumably the same Mr Boswell that was showing the BBC around his site in mid September. (It was on Landward, I think... )
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:23:48 by sholls »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 09:33:58 »
I don't know why any one needs to buy bulbs. Once bought, they thrive so well, we are giving them away on our allotment site to newbies to grow on because the yeild is so high no one can eat it all and has plenty from the past years crop for growing the next year.

I got rust on mine in 2008 and still sowed from them no rust in 2009 but got bigger cloves.

I think they are dead easy to grow. I even let OH do it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal