Author Topic: A new boy on the block  (Read 2817 times)

Fids

• Not So New ...
  • Reading FC forever
A new boy on the block
« on: October 18, 2004, 21:23:09 »
Hi everyone,

Today I have finally got the key to my allotmant after trying to get one since March. A quick viewing quickly made it clear I have a lot of work to do.

My question is " how do I decide what I can plant where when I am not able to establish what was grown where on Plot 7".

My second question is that at this precise moment I have not been able to find anywhere locally I can get manure. What can I use instead - growmore, chicken pellets ?

Thanks in advance for your help

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re:A new boy on the block
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 21:37:50 »
Hi welcome aboard Fids.  You will get all the help you need on here.
I havent got a lottie so cannot help. Just wanted to say hello ;D.

Jendaffodil

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 21:54:23 »
Earlier today Emma Jane posted a message saying she may do a 'new allotment in a new area rotation'  - sounds just what you need but I don't know how to do it so I can't help really.  It's in the Edibles section re Garlic Rotation.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 22:27:23 »
Welcome Fids and congratulations on your plot!

I assume by the fact that you say you have a lot of work to do, plot number 7 hasn't been cultivated for a while, therefore I wouldn't worry about any sort of rotation.  I would say you best course of action is to start clearing the site, and as you create beds, decide what you are going to plant, for example, if you have a nice patch cleared in the next couple of weeks you could plant Japanese (hardy) onion sets, shallots and garlics.  You could also plant pot grown herbs and fruit bushes.  There is stacks of info in the edibles section about what people are planting now, or buying now for spring sowing.

As for getting hold of manure, again, check out...now what section was it in...about green manure..... you can still sow some now thru November.  Or in spring, chook pellets or blood fish and bone, in fact, there are so many different fertilizers on the shelves, my brain goes doolalee....(which is actually quite normal for me!)  If it is body you want to get into the ground, then green manure is probably the best way to go and then you have the winter to try and find a stable or farm where you can get your hands on some poo!  :-X   ;D

Jendaffodil, I was being kinda sarcy when I said I will be trying a new allotment rotation because I have such rotten white rot, rust, clubroot, chocolate virus, deer, hares, jays, squirrels, blight, slugs etc on my current allotment that a new plot would probably be a simpler answer for me.

Fids

• Not So New ...
  • Reading FC forever
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 22:36:10 »
Hello Rosebud many thanks for the welcome    

Thanks for your advice EJ and Jedaffodil it is much appreciated. So much to learn.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 23:16:37 »
Welcome to the site Fids - take a lesson from EJ and "keep smiling in the face of adversity" - but don't be fooled she gets stunning results too!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 09:40:13 »
Maybe that's a new rotation plan, E.J.

Bed1 -white rot

Bed 2 -slugs

Bed 3 -clubroot

Although knowing my luck it's more likely

Beds 1-n (where n is any number large and +ve) -white rot, slugs, clubroot, the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, the 7 plagues of egypt, storm, tempest and armageddin out of here  ::)

That coffee was strong :)

Jeremy

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 10:03:01 »
Welcome Fids.

I haven't got an allotment yet, but I hope to soon. I think the bits about green manure are in the 'when to dig...' thread somewhere here in basics.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 11:29:21 »
Oh Derbex, that was sooooooo funny!
I'm at work and laughed out loud, now people think I actually enjoy working hahaha.

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 16:21:31 »
He hE he derbex - sorry EJ

Hi Fids

I'm a newbie too so don't be afraid to join in and you can ask the daftest questions and not have the mick taken (well too much!  ;) ) everyones so nice.

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

settler

• Not So New ...
  • im a roman
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 12:17:10 »
hi fids im a new lad aswell so maybe we can help eachother out the first thing i have done is cleared the ground i will now decide where to grow then draw my plot on a piece of paper and number the plots if this i s of any help to you

cheers have fun ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 20:00:15 »
I don`t understand why so many people are haveing trouble getting free manure?
Stables are everywhere............

settler

• Not So New ...
  • im a roman
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 11:16:17 »
yes i have got horse manure cumin out the ears

have fun dood

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 11:52:00 »