Author Topic: Rats!!!!!help  (Read 3273 times)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
Rats!!!!!help
« on: October 06, 2009, 22:33:07 »
We have been invaded with Rats since they cut corn,they have striped our sarracenia plants and flattened them ,cut venus flytraps traps off we have set traps put down poison have had dead ones but still they keep coming,mice in pollytunnel have got at my bulbs,getting so sick and anoyed at them they get at the chicken food at the other end off feild aswell they have been really big my border has caught some she is good at that
any ideas
Pauline >:( >:(

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Rats!!!!!help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 23:17:46 »
You're lucky - we have them in our roof  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Theplotthickens

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:26:19 »
Fenn mk4 traps, they won`t work for about a week but after that they work 24-7-365.
The reason they won`t work to start with is because they hate new items in their area ie the trapping tunnel etc.

As for the rats in the roof !!!!!! get them out as they are a major fire and flood hazard  :o  :o  :o

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:24 »
I don't think much of the Fenn Mk4 traps.

See:  http://www.antisnaring.org.uk/news_wire/angmering_park_fenn_trap.html

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:22:48 »
Fenn mk4 traps, they won`t work for about a week but after that they work 24-7-365.
The reason they won`t work to start with is because they hate new items in their area ie the trapping tunnel etc.

As for the rats in the roof !!!!!! get them out as they are a major fire and flood hazard  :o  :o  :o

The Serco ratcatcher man is a regular visitor - the problem is neighbouring houses and their sheds and the rats like to use our roof as a maternity unit grrrrrrrr
The Tuscan Beaneater

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:45 »
I don't think much of the Fenn Mk4 traps.

See:  http://www.antisnaring.org.uk/news_wire/angmering_park_fenn_trap.html

The trap in that article was used illegally to catch an animal it is not designed to catch & was not set in a natural or artificial tunnel which would of prevented it from catching non target species. If they wanted to kill rabbits with a fen trap they should of used a mark VI which is designed to trap rabbits.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 14:41:28 »
I've got rats under my shed and in the adjacent compost dalek. I'd thought it a good idea to have the new shed put on risers to prevent the floor from being in excessive contact with the concrete base, but all that's done is provide a des. res. for rodents!

So far it/they have scoffed a whole bottle of impregnated wheat from Rentokil without slowing down, and I've now got a bottle of a different compound in the hope this one works... keep placing the bait in the tube of an old leaf blower so nothing else can get in, and it's kept dry. So I know something's eating it!

And since it's behind the shed and the latched gate, it's safe from small fingers too.

Here's hoping the latest one works...

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Taproot

• Not So New ...
  • Tap The Root
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 00:11:56 »
If you want to poison them, I'd suggest lots of avocado skins. Cheaper than poisons, leave the skins where the rats can get at them with a thin layer of the avocado fruit still in them, and when the pests eat them, they will die in short order. Just make sure the dog or cat doesn't eat them if they are about because Avocado skin is toxic to just about everything that eats it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado#Toxicity_to_animals
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 00:14:24 by Taproot »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 18:08:04 »
If you want to poison them, I'd suggest lots of avocado skins. Cheaper than poisons, leave the skins where the rats can get at them with a thin layer of the avocado fruit still in them, and when the pests eat them, they will die in short order. Just make sure the dog or cat doesn't eat them if they are about because Avocado skin is toxic to just about everything that eats it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado#Toxicity_to_animals
just been for avocados, going to try this in drainpipe traps , guacamole today, poison tomorrow  ;D

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 23:38:02 »
Rent my cat if you like. He brought a big one in today and put it under the table during massive family dinner. Fortunately was dead, very funny all the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal