Author Topic: yeast  (Read 1664 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
yeast
« on: October 07, 2009, 21:59:53 »
 mix a little yeast with little sugar and a dash water, leave a few minutes to see if it bubble. if it does then it's OK. if it doesn't it's dead.

I buy 1 pound packages instant yeast and it keeps a year plus in a sealed jar in the fridge.  qahtan

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: yeast
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:07:25 »
Fresh yeast does freeze but goes runny when defrosted so people put it in an ice cube mould and take out enough cubes for a loaf and let it defrost in the jug the water and sugar is going in to.

Dried yeast, the sort which is added to the dry ingredients, is the most popular now it is so convenient and keeps well.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 17:54:54 »
When I use fresh yeast I just crumple it over the flour. 
I like the flavour of the bread better with the fresh yeast... qahtan

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 22:55:01 »
I buy my fresh yeast from the larger branches of Sainsburys.  They sell a 750g block for 99p.  I used to buy smaller amounts, but was told by the assistant on the bakery counter that it would work out cheaper to buy the whole block.  I don't always use it all, but at that price I'm not throwing much away. ;D

If I can't get fresh yeast I would use the easyblend type, which you mix in with the flour/dry ingredients, and then add the liquids.

I would never bother with the dried granules.  If you have to reconstitute it, it can't be very good.

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal