Author Topic: Tell me this is wrong  (Read 3513 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Tell me this is wrong
« on: October 09, 2009, 15:55:39 »
Just been reading on-line news and the Daily Mail report that rents at Harper's Lane Allotments nr Bolton are £35-a-month

If you want to read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1219279/Allotment-Lottery-winner-vowed-feet-ground-gives-buys-1million-home.html#ixzz0TRzQm2RB

That's got to be a mistake... £35 pa is more probable. Having said that he could afford it having won £25 Million on the lottery...

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Tell me this is wrong
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 16:08:55 »
Also someone will be lucky to get the allotment that he has given up, even if they have to pay £35 a month.  Perhaps it is a private site or a mistake as you said, interesting article.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 16:48:59 »
Harper's Lane is a council site & according to Bolton council rent is around £40 per annum.

http://www.bolton.gov.uk/website/pages/Allotments.aspx
The fee you pay to rent an allotment will depend on the size of the plot. There are various sizes available but an average full size plot is approximately 259m. A plot this size currently has an approximate annual rental charge £41.44.

Concessionary rates are available for the over sixties, currently this is a 25% discount on the rental charge of a plot. Proof of age may be required.

Rental charges are subject to periodic review and tenants are notified in advance of any changes to charges.

Allotments offer value for money and can reduce your food bill as well as improving your health. To find out if there is a vacant allotment in your area, or if you would like any advice on growing your own produce, please contact us.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 17:56:33 »
The Daily Mail are not renowned for their accuracy, just take a look at the before and after photos, are they meant to be the same area ???
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 01:57:54 »
the tone of the story was quite scathing, as though he wasn't allowed to enjoy his money as he sees fit.

and a few weedy beds with the majority obviously prepared for the sleepy winter well before most others I'm sure is hardly neglect ::), a non gardener might see it as neglect but a veg gardener would see it for what it is, winter prep in place.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:43:25 »
The Daily Snail gets it wrong again  ::) ::) ::)

It beats me how people can throw their money away on that rag and then believe what they read it it. 

Wrong facts - £35 a year not month - though that mistake may put some people off and make the waiting lists shorter lol.  The pictures - prizewinning cabbage, obviously grown for a competition and cared for, the entrance to the allotments in full summer, looking lovely, obviously, the "neglected" plot has been covered over for the winter.  All pretty normal.  The closeup of "rotting" cabbages are what leftover spring or summer cabbages look like, a few dead leaves, a few weeds and a couple of blown cabbages.  Most people have those on their allotments.  And sprouts don't rot over the winter.

This is a case of an ignorant reporter who can't be bothered to get up from their desk, and matches the pictures to the story.
The Tuscan Beaneater

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:34 »
I think you've just about covered everything.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 11:17:20 »
what a horrible article. Envy and Spite, with a grudging nice bit at the bottom, courtesy of the Mail and Mr James "Tozer" (another case of Anton du Beke with the name, surely  ??? )

Pomona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 17:25:03 »
Typical Dail Mail- what a load of old tosh. he sounds a really nice bloke and why shouldn't he enjoy his wealth. And the allotment looks pretty much like most of them at this time of year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal