Author Topic: What's your favourite runner bean?  (Read 4906 times)

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
Re: What's your favourite runner bean?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:55 »
I favour White Lady, have been growing them for the past 4 years and much prefer them to the red bean variety, They seem to cook better and so long as you pick them in time, they are not stringy. Grew some Best of All this year but they seemed to fatten up very quickly and wouldn't go through the beaner :(

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 15:59:27 »
On Gardeners Question Time Wisley Magic was recommended.  Has anyone grown these?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 16:29:23 »
Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

So far, we have

Painted Lady, Scarlet Emperor and White Lady all with 4 votes,
Prizewinner and Enorma with 2
and
St.George, Red Flame, Lady Di, Streamline, Purple Italian, Best of All and Red Rum with 1 vote each.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 16:58:36 »
I have grown Wisley Magic and sometimes they seem to do very well and other times not.  They seem to produce all at once and then not at all.  Good for a late season crop.  They are relatively slug resistant so do well in my garden. 

Down at the Lottie where I have less of a slug problem at the moment, they are not very dramatic.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 20:48:48 »
Having said Scarlet Emps are my favourite and will always grow them for flavour.

I'm going to set a small wigwam of Liberty next year, for the show bench - what do you reckon colt?  ;)

Ninny

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 22:14:52 »
Following on from your results Squash, could I give a double vote for Red Rum.  We have been growing this variety for several years, and have always found it a prolific flowerer, sets very well and gives a very good yield.

We've grown Wisley Magic, but would have to say, although it was quite good, it was nowhere near as good as Red Rum.

valmarg

colt

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 00:34:43 »
I'm going to set a small wigwam of Liberty next year, for the show bench - what do you reckon colt?  Wink

Ninny

Hi Ninny this was my first ever go at showing veg so cant give you a truthful answer but asked the main man on our site who now just judges the show says they are a very good type for showing

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 13:16:17 »
Enorma always used to be our favorite although we've now switched to Daniels Defiance.

Scarlet Emporer is not bad but my wife hates Painted Lady as they produce small bean which have a tendency to be stringy.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 23:32:04 »
Must agree with you about Painted Lady, Vortex, tried it one year and although they look pretty, not for our table.

Ninny

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 23:37:35 »
White lady for me grown them for 4 years now. Have grown them in pots on the patio and now in the ground and had great crops using both methods. I even put them in our local show and got 1st prize, picture below is what i put in the show.

I can't tell on my computer- are those actually white or light green or yellowish?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 18:04:03 »
Would have said Wisley Magic until this year, and I do like them - lovely long beans, good flavour and not stringy. But this year, on my new plot, one of my lotty neighbours gave me some saved seed - no idea of its name, but white beans and white flowers. I grew 4 varieties in all - wisley m. painted lady, a red nameless variety, the white ones outperformed them all. Started picking at the beginning of July - just been away on hols for over 2 weeks, they are still producing edible beans on my return. Just wish I knew the name!

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 11:57:07 »
White Lady without a doubt! Grew them for the first time this year and had a bumper crop of over 40lbs  from a relatively short row!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 12:27:49 »
Enorma and/or Enorma Elite (can't say I've noticed much difference - Elite perhaps more consistent)) and Scarlet Emperor and/or Scarlet Empire (can't say I've noticed much difference-empire is a bit more productive perhaps)are my staples. 

I tried  Polestar this year. it was rather feeble compared to the others. Once more chance for it next year. My non-standards next year will be Achievement Merit and Desiree (not the spud!).

PS The short list for future years now includes Red Flame, and  Celebration (Tozers) - because it has pink flowers!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 14:03:07 »

White Lady for me too ... and they did not mind the dry weather either!  In the past I too have grown Wisley Magic ... love the golden leaves brightens up the plot no end!!

Both eat very well  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 22:26:41 »
Enorma for us.

Alison

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 21:43:56 »
white lady for me too... picked the last this week and have left some to try to save my own seed for next year

Magnus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 23:09:05 »
White Apollo and Scarlet Emp, fantastic crops this year
Things are the theives of time

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 23:35:07 »
Scarlet Emporer for me.  Have tried loads of different varieties but always come back to the Scarlets

musungu

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 09:34:00 »
I tried Desiree and Celebration this year; Desiree were ok but Celebration were outstanding. The only salmon pink flowered beans on our allotment really stood out, and they kept on producing masses of beans right up till last week. Not stringless but fine if you pick them before the beans swell too much. Definitely growing Celebration again next year, plus White Lady which has been good in the past. Any suggestions which to grow for really early or late crops? Would love to extend the season at each end!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 06:15:19 »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

It was difficult, but I decided to order the beans which got the most mentions.

These were Painted Lady, Scarlet Emperor and White Lady. 

Thanks again,

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal