Author Topic: still no eggs.  (Read 5447 times)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: still no eggs.
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:26 »
Unlike a bird  that has been hung to mature a while ,there isn't much smell to gutting a fresh killed chicken. Cut from vent to bottom of breast bone allowing yourself room to work.There's no need for Vick under your nose  ;D  if your smearing that about you will end up with a menthol tasting chuck. Must have a look at this on Utube..
If you do the job outside I doubt there would be any smell at all....

Cheers .. Jim

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 10:34:34 »
Have we got anything yet Simmo????????????????

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 17:45:34 »
nope still no eggs. have placed a couple of golf balls in there to maybe urge them on a bit.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 18:43:05 »
still no eggs!!!!!!!!!!! do you think they maybe cocks? how do i tell???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 21:04:15 »
Don't be shy about gutting a carcass. If it smells, it's not fresh. We always skin birds, so I take the skin and feathers off in one go.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 10:01:44 »
Simmo I had some welsummers that didn't start laying till they were 31 weeks old..You will find with the pure bred heavy breeds that this ain't as unusual as it seems.I doubt you could mistake hens for cocks. Cocks are showy with big curved long tail feathers they have a lot bigger comb on their heads than hens and usually longer wattles hanging down under their beaks.
Stick with em and I am tipping they will lay as we get bye shortest day prob around Jan.Then you will  be getting  the big dark brown eggs.
Next time you get any new  hens try Lowmans or Warrens or  any of the hybrid breeds that are bred for laying. Let's know when you get your first egg from your Marans.  

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:11:12 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 18:39:41 »
hi grow more i dont have marans. i have 2 buff laced wyandotte bantams and a full size rir. there wattles are quite small. so im prety sure there hens. i dont think ill be getting any more as my garden is quite small and the 3 have already demolished the borders. im sticking cacti in for next year lets see em try and eat one of those prickly buggers....lol

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 19:54:03 »
They don't like Lavendar either

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal