Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 3403 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
What happened?
« on: October 02, 2009, 09:01:26 »
Well just been out into the garden and noticed one of the chickens in the corner of the run not moving. I went in and it seems like she has a broken neck but is alive? Im totally baffled no blood or anything so dont think she has been attacked they have only been out for a few hours. What could have happened?  The head is totally floppy?

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:23:52 »
What breed of chicken, how old is she and how long have you had her mummybunny?  If there is no sign of a struggle, could it be Marek's disease?

See: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/90/mareks-disease

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:44:33 »
Thanks for the reply I dont think it is Marek's disease i read through the page there is no other signs? I would almost say its like she has a broken neck! im just so confussed!  shes not a POL yet as for the breed im still not sure we adopted 3 off someone who had no idea what breeds they were! This one is deep brown with a few black tail feathers. 

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 12:04:39 »
try checking her tempture against the other hens to see if she is running a high temp ( infection) is she standing on both feet ok? does she walk at all?.

I would put her some where quiet with food and water and see how she is.

My sister in law had a hen who put her neck out of the chicken wire and the dog got hold of her no damage but its neck was the same as yours. She uses a cardboard tube ( loo roll inner) and cut it and fitted it round the neck of the hen and taped it like a neck brace. The hen had it on a week or soo the hen recovered and was fine.

there are online vets you can email if yours dont know much about chickens.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:37:06 »
hi teresa her temp seems fine shes not able to stand or even move to get water and food it really is like she has a broken neck have emailed a vet just waiting for a reply however i think its going to be a case of ending her misery  :(

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 14:13:37 »
ooo my god , thats awful poor little thing

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 16:32:11 »
 xlynettex  i know it is but i couldn't let her suffer any longer broke my heart. I know some people will think that's silly as its only a chicken.  I can only assume that she somehow injured herself no way anything has got into the run . After looking on a few chicken forums apparently chickens can break there own necks but not completely. I can only assume that it had damaged her nerve endings as she couldnt even walk. ??? :( :(

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 17:21:31 »
did the vet come back to you?

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 17:29:02 »
yes said what i thought she had damaged the nerves in her neck somehow vet seemed to think she might have got startled which would have caused her to injure herself.As there was no other signs of illness at all. Nothing really he could recommend and said that if i took him our vet they would have recommended putting her to sleep.  :(

If she was able to walk i would have given the loo roll idea a go great idea  but she was getting worse as the day went by in the end both eyes were closed and breathing was laboured.  :(

misfit

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 18:10:16 »
so sad :'( sorry to hear this !

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 18:54:52 »
so sad :'( sorry to hear this !

i second that

not had chicken before but i know what its like to lose a pet we have had 3 dogs /1 cat and a hamster all die of old age and at the mo no pets here at all  .
i don't belive death is the end

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 19:01:25 »
MB, thinking of you, it must have been a horrid situation, she is not suffereing now, bless her.

Take care

T.x

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 19:10:30 »

We have near neighbours that keep chickens,  can hear them ' chuck ' of a morning,

so presume they are being fed,   this morning, after being absent for a week, we have

found a heavy , rubber , brown  ' egg ' on our patio   ---   full of dog like teeth marks,

--  think it was a fox trying to break it ! ?

Presume it was a ' brooding egg '  --  they used to be porcelane,   A fox could have attempted

to catch her but been distracted ?, so leaving her in this distrest state.

Do hope she recovers, so upseting when you care for them,
Hertfordshire,   south east England

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 19:55:23 »
Oh Mummybunny sounds like she was ready to pass away. I am so sorry  :'(. They bring such joy to our lives they may be just chickens but they are all so different and soo funny great personalities. Enjoy your other girls you did all you could. xxx

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 19:59:59 »
THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
i don't belive death is the end

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 21:28:14 »
Graceland that is so beautiful thanks for sharing. xxxx

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie