Author Topic: Drying butter beans  (Read 2465 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Drying butter beans
« on: October 10, 2009, 19:58:21 »
My spagna bianco have produced a brilliant crop. The problem is they are still looking healthy and in flower! I pulled all the beans off today because there was no sign of dying back and the frosts will be looming soon (up north!).

My question is could I dry these in the oven? The pods were still green....

140 degrees with the door slightly open?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Drying butter beans
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 20:13:18 »
My windowsills are covered in beans.  I would be worried they might get too hot in the oven. 

I also have some in cotton bags hanging by the radiators.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 20:18:52 »
Mine are still flowering... but I have them in the big greenhouse...  ::)

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 20:26:42 »
My windowsills are covered in beans.  I would be worried they might get too hot in the oven. 

I also have some in cotton bags hanging by the radiators.

I have the bolotti's on a tray in the spare room, but these were from dried pods.

Am a just a bit concerned that they won't dry properly from fresh like this?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 20:46:49 »
I don't think drying in the oven would work at all, and the big spagna beans would be the least likely to succeed, being so big. I bet you'd bake them on the outside at the same time as drying them, and they won't rehydrate.
The spagna beans I tried to dry at home last year all went mouldy very quickly. When I picked the rest, I separated them into *not quite ripe*, *ripe but not dried* and *ripe and dried*. The naturally dried ones were stored in jars, and were fine - actually the few that were left went mouldy the following June, and the others were  blanched and frozen separately, and they were fine too

This year i've done something different - all the beans were either ripe and dried or ripe but not dried - so I rehydrated the lot, and then blanched and froze........

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 20:54:02 »
Thanks RT.

How long did you boil them for before freezing?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 21:07:43 »
I have dried beans from green, but feel it is important to leave them in the pods.  I do not even think of taking them out of the pods until they are well brittle.  I throw away or eat any from damaged/split pods.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 21:26:10 »
Thanks RT.

How long did you boil them for before freezing?

I was afraid you'd ask that! I blanched them in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes, but that was only a guess. I've not frozen beans before, and was worried they'd end up as mush, bt it worked out very well. Actually when I wanted to use some this year, I went to the freezer first, rather than the bean jars.

And I *think* what i've done this year is better - because all the beans are in the same condition when I blanch them

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 23:40:38 »
I blanched them in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes,
Never thought of doing that, that will save so much hastle in my small kitchen.
I had a quick google, this website has a table for microwave blanching, probably some others.

http://www.homefamily.net/index.php?/categories/foodnutrition/freezing_fruit_and_vegetables/
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 11:15:23 »
Spagna Bianco?

Is it a good one for butter beans?

I have been growing `White Emergo` for a while now but should I change??

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 20:43:18 »
I am a believer for picking the pods when they go brown and brittle, and drying the beans in a flat container in the kitchen. They are beautifully large when you pick them, then shrink a little - and are stored in jars.

Succulent and delicious after that in casseroles.

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 21:55:00 »
I am a believer for picking the pods when they go brown and brittle, and drying the beans in a flat container in the kitchen. They are beautifully large when you pick them, then shrink a little - and are stored in jars.

Succulent and delicious after that in casseroles.

Yep me too, problem is they were still flowering and showing no signs of starting to dry off. I had the odd dry pod and have kept them. Have blanched and froze all the others.

Thanks for the help all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal