Author Topic: Spring Onions  (Read 1174 times)

PlymouthMaid

• Not So New ...
Spring Onions
« on: October 11, 2009, 16:28:24 »
Does anybody know why my spring onions just refuse to make little bulbs and still look like blades of grass?  The first lot were sown in April this year - did nothing until I got sick of the sight of them being pathetic at the end of august and dug them up. The second lot - red ones - went in about early July and are still looking sad.

Had a similar experience with the few carots that germinated. Most other stuff grew well apart from some bolting in the fennel. rocket and spinach department.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Spring Onions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 18:02:37 »
we grew our best spring onions and carrots in potting compost  :)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 18:28:07 »
Agree manic,
In a 12'' pot for SO. Don't take long do they?
Tried carrots in a large square plastic container after early spuds. Brilliant!
 ;D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 18:29:47 »
The spring onions I first sowed in the ground were pathetic, the ones that did manage to get their heads above the ground either got smothered by weeds, or got yanked out with the weeds, and out of a 8ft row I managed about 4 good onions.

What I do now, is I have a plug tray (from B&Q) with 60 cells, I sow this with multipurpose compost and a pinch of seeds to each cell.
When the roots start showing out the bottom of the cells, I plant these out with an inch or 2 between each bunch

This has worked very well, and because they are in little bunches, I can pull a bunch up without worrying about disturbing the rest.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 18:39:23 »
we used both white lisbon and purplette and did the silverskin the same way, never had such a good crop  :)
started some more white lisbon in the poly last month, just with small trenches full of compost, they're about 6" tall now, going to see how they go

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 18:59:52 »
I do mine in window boxes or pots - maybe it was the quality of seed (or lack of it) that gave poor results

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal