Author Topic: Cutting and removing Ivy  (Read 1902 times)

Auntie J

• Not So New ...
Cutting and removing Ivy
« on: October 05, 2009, 19:22:49 »
I have a large mass of ivy growing up the side wall and onto the roof of my mums house, it needs to be removed due to work being done on the house 
Some people say cut it at the base let it die and then take it down, but I am not sure if this is the best way.

It has been home for many nesting birds over the years but there is plenty of ivy in the nearby trees for the birds to nest in,so I am sure they will get used to a new ivy home.

Thanks for any ideas.
Joanna

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Cutting and removing Ivy
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 19:54:47 »
You're really going to need a bat survey first.  Bat's love to roost behind ivy and it's a criminal offence to take the ivy down if bats have been roosting there.

An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 20:14:22 »
You're really going to need a bat survey first.  Bat's love to roost behind ivy and it's a criminal offence to take the ivy down if bats have been roosting there.

:o

The crim element in me says "s*d the bats - they'll move on and survive" :-[

To removing the ivy: yes, cutting it back at the base and digging up roots if you can is the way to go OR cutting it back and applying Root-Out (or somesuch) to rot the roots down. I'm not seeing that this is the greater problem, the main I've found is removing the ivy from the walls. Might take a lot of scraping, bu**ger of a job. Good luck.

Old Ned

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 20:35:20 »
Your crim element is why there are so many endangered species in the world.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 20:46:31 »
Just a word of warning, if you have any breathing problems, Asthma etc PLEASE wear a mask if you are removing the ivy from the wall. I found out the hard way. I am about to do the same job again but I think I will try and kill it off this time, fed up with it clambering over the outhouses!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 21:19:32 »
If you cut the roots away and leave it up the wall you'll have dead ivy there for donkey's years unless you can get it down.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 21:33:38 »
To add to Lorna's warning, also wear long sleeve's.  OH has at to go to the doctor's to day.  He has come out in a rash on his face and arms.  We've been moving ivy from an old fence for the last 2 weekends.  The ivy was about 10 foot tall and 7 feet wide.  I've had no problems so far.  No bats, but there may be a wasps nest in there so going very carefull.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 22:50:17 »
Just to clarify; the offence is destroying the bat roost, so even if the bats aren't there when you look it's still an offence if the bats are likely to use it again.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal