Author Topic: eggs for sale?  (Read 2364 times)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
eggs for sale?
« on: October 01, 2009, 15:57:26 »
Hi we are going to sell our surplus eggs but not sure if we have to clean them? If so with what? Also do we have to date them? Thanks

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: eggs for sale?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 16:49:52 »
You will read just about everywhere that you should not clean the eggs as it can force bugs through the shell. However, on muddy days if your hens are outside this means most eggs will be marked with some muck and in theory you will have to sell them mucky - but I doubt if anyone would want them.

Eggs for our own use I do clean with warm water - have been doing this for several years with no harmful effects on us.

If you date stamp the eggs on the day they are laid its much easier to keep track of how fresh they are (my customers really appreciate this) - but its not compulsory.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 17:17:22 »
We only get mucky eggs when we have not kept the straw in the nestboxes clean ::)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 18:24:59 »
Thanks for the advice. We will get a date stamp. I do clean them for our use but wasnt sure if you had to when selling. Will just wipe them over.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 18:33:15 »
Shame you live in Northampton or I would love to buy some.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:36:24 »
We only get mucky eggs when we have not kept the straw in the nestboxes clean ::)

You are very lucky then, ipt8.  Our chickens like to clamber into one nestbox and then they poo on the eggs.  I wipe the soiled ones with damp kitchen roll and keep them for home use.  I haven't had any problems with them yet.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:47:11 »
I sell my spare eggs from the house and my regulars know I dont wash my eggs. Realy dirty eggs I use myself but the bits of poo or feathers or straw the customers like it ( they say that what eggs should look like) We dont date stamp our eggs there never older than a week.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 21:22:52 »
I give mine a wipe over with a damp warm paper towel - dont use cold water as that can make the inner membrane of the egg shrink back and let bacteria in but warm water is fine

You can date the eggs lightly in pencil, no need to buy a stamp

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 22:15:04 »
Are you leaving eggs in the box overnight and the hens are roosting in the boxes perhaps :-\
If they are make sure your perches are above the level of the nestboxes, and that the nestboxes are in a fairly dark position.
Also do you have enough perches?
We have had hens poo in the nestboxes but not during the daytime. Of course you may just be unlucky and have some awkward hens ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal