Author Topic: debris or pond netting  (Read 1133 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
debris or pond netting
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:25:54 »
I'm in two minds about which to get.

So far the 7mm netting here

http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Protection_Netting.html#aPN003

has worked well for me keeping out pigeons and cabbage whites but I've got some larger sized beds I inherited and I was looking at debris netting because it's a lot cheaper.

Now I read that can cause problems because the mesh is too small to let in beneficial insects such as hover flies but large enough to let in aphids.  I have got some mealy ones on the sprouts I want to cover already.  Also I don't have time to muck about sewing up holes.

Which to get.........?  (Urgent/Help  ???)

Thanks.....

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: debris or pond netting
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:08:47 »
earlypea, what crops are you growing that need pollinating insects? or is it the hoverflies to eat the greenfly?
we use debris netting on all our brassica beds, can't help with the aphids or whitefly, they're on ours, too..only environmesh can help there, i think and that's EXpensive  :-\

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 13:31:36 »
Someone mentioned a company that sells secondhand enviromesh type netting fairly cheap in this thread http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,51773.0.html it may be worth a look.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:06 »
earlypea, what crops are you growing that need pollinating insects? or is it the hoverflies to eat the greenfly?
Yes, I meant to eat my mealy aphids.
Anyway, thanks - I think I know my options.  It's just none of them are quite right  ::) especially as I plan to change the size of the 2 problem beds next year to something more manageable.

Thanks for the link Baccyman - that's a good buy - next year maybe.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:01:16 »
Get some cheap netting from Wilko's... it will keep the pigeons off and it's too late in the season for a real caterpillar problem now... then sort out properly when you've redesigned your beds..  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal