Author Topic: I feel somewhat squashed!  (Read 4692 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: I feel somewhat squashed!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 23:35:10 »
Think I might harvest mine tomorrow, what with frosts perhaps due in the next few days......don't think it will rival your haul Chris, magnificent!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 23:51:58 »
:blushes:.... I was expecting counter-postings of other folks monster crops.....

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 23:53:24 »
I'm quite happy, considering all the butternuts died in the manky weather, the largest of these is a red kuri from saddad's open day, it weighs 3.5 lbs, should make some nice meals  :)

ooh.. they look nice.... are the yellow ones Festival or Hooligan?... or summat else?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 23:55:59 »
There I was feeling really pleased with my haul,'had to bring them home as someone else was helping themselves      
still a million times better than last year

Fine crop of butternuts you've got there... better shape form than mine too :jealous: My solitary Waltham is the classic shape, the Harriers are all over the place.....

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 09:13:07 »
mine are hooligan, freebies from somewhere, very impressed, just gotta taste them now  ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:21 »
:blushes:.... I was expecting counter-postings of other folks monster crops.....

I have harvested most of mine now (except Triamble which are still ripening on the vine as they take a bit more to mature) and took a piccy. Will download it from the camera tonight and post it.

On a related thread - I grew Marshalls squashkin this year - 2 plant and have got 11 fruits, the heaviest being about 3lb. This is muh better than I thought - I only realised how well they had done when the vines had died back.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 13:45:47 »

I have harvested most of mine now (except Triamble which are still ripening on the vine as they take a bit more to mature) and took a piccy. Will download it from the camera tonight and post it.

On a related thread - I grew Marshalls squashkin this year - 2 plant and have got 11 fruits, the heaviest being about 3lb. This is muh better than I thought - I only realised how well they had done when the vines had died back.

Other folks experience of Squashkin is very variable.... apparently Marshalls have dropped it from their catalogue this year.... they might well have come up with something that grows well under specific conditions and if you don't have them then it won't.... in my experience very like Waltham butternut....

chrisc

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 15:32:04 »
Harvested the squash today, an ok haul, I'll take a pic tomorrow. The ground is so dry underneath though! I've ordered my manure early this year, so I can get it on the beds before the rains predicted for next week.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 21:42:55 »
Piccy of my harvest this year. Interesting what you said re butternuts Chriscross - mine did appallingly but Squashkin okay.

A Buttercup and 4 Triambles not quite ready (2 just about ok, 2 still a bit greenish rather than steel blue), I am hoping they beat the frosts as Jeannine was right these are delish.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 22:00:56 »
I am so envious!  :o My crop was zilch this year!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 00:46:10 »
I am so envious!  :o My crop was zilch this year!

I think that squash are a tad marginal in this country in some ways.... next year my plan  is to start a batch early, setup big beds of fresh horse manure (for the warmth) with weedmulch covering  and get the plants on them for the start of may under cloches or mini tunnels in some ways its more about the rain as much as the cold at that time of year.... get the cloches off by the end of May latest unless weather hopeless, that should give me plants growing away in early June rather than sulkin into July in the case of the butternuts....  I plan on fewer plants of more varieties....

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal