Author Topic: Roguing out beans  (Read 2132 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Roguing out beans
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:33:44 »
I am growing some Climbing French for seed, as I shell them I am roguing them out.

I am finding that a small percentage of the beans are the wrong colour.  If this occurs should I rogue out all the beans from the pod even if the rest are the right colour.

Also the smallest pods are producing a much higher percentage of rogues.  Most pods have 6-7 beans but those only containing 2-3 contain many rogues.  The wrong colour spots or the wrong colour background or the wrong colour altogether or very occassionally the wrong shape.  Should I therefore rogue out all pods with only 2-3 beans?

Therefore with beans that are mono tonic and therefore much more difficult to spot rogues whould I also rogue out those with fewer beans in the pods?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Roguing out beans
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 10:28:38 »
when I've had crossed beans all the beans in the pod are wrong. With borlotti beans you sometimes get an individual  bean with the colours reversed. I just put that down to a mutation rather than a cross

Why not grow some on. I've got 2 of my own beans that now grow true each year. One looks like a cannellini bean but is black, and the other looks like a true cranberry bean (ie seed like a cranberry). They've both got borlotti stripes on the pod. They're very prolific, but i'm not sure how disease resistant they might be, to rust for instance

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 15:47:29 »
I wouldn't save from the last pods... unless I was really short as they tend to be less well ripened/developed.  :-X

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 16:49:54 »
Save the best. If there are oddities in the pods with fewest beans, there may be something beyond poor pollination. It's best to pick out the best plants rather than the best pods, and save from those.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 21:42:05 »
Many thanks for you comments, I rogued out some of the original batch which were to my taste slightly red rather than purple and they have come up with red mottled beans and plain red rather than mottled shells, so I am starting to trust my judgement on roguing.

I have lots so I am trying to get the best.  I find it odd to get one dark bean within one pod but I have had this before.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal