Author Topic: Amaryllis Hippeastrum  (Read 2352 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Amaryllis Hippeastrum
« on: October 16, 2004, 23:08:15 »
I have a beautiful Amaryllis(see below) which flowered this spring.  All together it had 10 flower heads on two stems.. I have watered and fed it since it finished flowering and it now has very long and luscious foliage.  What I want to know is what do I do to make it flower again.  

Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

ken (69)

• Acre
Re:Amaryllis Hippeastrum
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 08:40:54 »
Same here. Mimi....bought several from Sainsbury's /after/ Christmas half price.Must have been a super strain.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 23:13:21 »
Mine is very similar to yours mimi and what I did last year was after flowering, plonked it in a shady spot in the garden for the summer, then into the greenhouse for the winter.  In early spring, as the other tender bulbs started to sprout, I started to water it and brought it into the conservatory, where it grew like mad!  It looked gorgeous this year.....March time I think, and I have done the same again, so it went up to my greenhouse last week where it will sit minding it's own business under the staging still early spring 2005!  ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 10:04:14 »
Thanks for that Emma.  Do you dry it out completely while it is in the greenhouse??  Also when you do bring it in, in the spring, will you take it out of the compost and re pot or will you just top dress the compost it is in??

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 12:34:17 »
Well, the only water it gets is any that drips from the staging onto it when I am watering the pots on top, so it doesn't dry out completely, but all but.  I did repot it as I wanted to see if it had given birth, and it did so I have a baby on potted on also.  I guess it came into the house late winter very early spring as I thought they were supposed to flower around Christmas time, but then I found out that they are spring flowering bulbs and those that are sold for Chrissy are forced to do so.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 13:04:47 »
Thanks Emma. :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal