Author Topic: How have your swaps done?  (Read 2466 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
How have your swaps done?
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:43:07 »
Hi
I've done a few swaps this year and I'm now thoroughly addicted (as if I didn't need encouragement in collecting more seeds  ::) ).
I've had some great gem squash, aramanthus tried for the 1st time (will be growing it again next year), the hops and perilla didn't germinate, but I'll try again next year!
And for next spring I have a heap of flowers, aubergines, tomatoes and beans to try out

What about your swaps - surceases and failures ?

So thanks for all the swaps  ;D

Marian

• Quarter Acre
  • Thank God for my garden !
Re: How have your swaps done?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 13:32:54 »
I have grown masses (nothing from A4A) as I now live on a boat with a very small mooring.  I received seeds from a friend and have grown lettuces, radishes, sweetcorn,  potatoes, runner beans, courgettes and gourdes.  All of which are now starting to grow tired ....
 :D

All the flowers seem to be doing well  ;) :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 14:50:43 »
Too many to mention individually... only the Bhat jalokia chilli haven't done the business... and I'm still hopeful...  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 14:26:12 »
I love swaps ;D

I've grown some great peas, beans and tomatoes amongst other things. Most have done really well although I have not had much success with cow peas. Still waiting to harvest a few things and I won't know how the Mashua's done for a while yet, but its certainly grown well.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me a swap, I've really enjoyed trying different things/varieties.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 18:34:13 »
had too many swaps from this site to mention, the fielderkraut cabbage this year are fantastic, 11lb 5oz  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 03:48:37 »
Hmmm... swaps.... Jerusalem artichokes still going strong, had a firkle a few dayhs ago but the tubers are still too small... the Oca is doing its thing by the book so I'm hopeful for it, the Cobra beans have been nothing short of brilliant and will be my main french bean next year, I'll never bother with dwarf varieties again, various tomatos doing ok, some potatos I was given proved to me that you could crop them in builders bags.....courgettes and squash... well the bon-bons have produced well but are a tad exhuberant, the uchiki kuri haven't done so well and the zucchini were basically ther reason I had way too many courgettes this year....more swapping as we speak and will have a list on here soon....

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:29:06 »
Wow Manics that's a cabbage and a half!! (And a nicely netted one at that  ;) )

Have to agree on Cobra beans - definitely the best I have tried so far. But mine are dwarf and I was really pleased with them, good croppers, so will finish off this packet and try some climbers another year

Marian - I've seen boat gardens before and they always look amazing, but I guess if you have a morring you do have a bit of extra space. What part of the country are you in?

I'm also doing loads of swaps with friends, that way we all get to try different varieties  ;D
Happy Swapping!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 18:06:08 »
The oca seems to be doing well, but I won't really know till I lift it. Toms were a washout again. Beans were almost wiped out by a flood just after I planted out the tender veg, and peas were hammered by the pigeons. Normally they leave them alone once they're up, but not this year. So it's not been a good year at all, but at least I've managed to get a lot more ground free of perennial weeds, so that's a big area I won't have to dig regularly again.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 00:01:46 »
had too many swaps from this site to mention, the fielderkraut cabbage this year are fantastic, 11lb 5oz  ;D

I showed that pic to a German girl at work and I think she wants to marry you..... if you get accosted by a Canadian gentleman with an axe that's her boyfriend......

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:14:21 »
sorry, tell your friend I'm female and already married, axe or no axe  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 13:48:11 »
sorry, tell your friend I'm female and already married, axe or no axe  ;D

Oops...  My bad :D ::)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 15:29:29 »
Tomatoes have mostly done brilliantly...I've been looking at them all today and deciding which ones I will definitely grow again, and started the annual seed saving malarkey......so will have more to swop next year!

Here is one of each of the 24 varieties I've grown in the greenhouse at home:

A few varieties grown for the first time...British Green Tiger...(nice flavour, but I find the skins horribly thick)

'Fuzzy'  probably 'Red Peach' I reckon, attractive slightly furry fruits:

'Japanese Black Trifele' from seeds I saved from my own fruit last year...this years are a lot paler so I guess have not come exactly true, but taste fantastic anyway!

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 16:41:50 »
Deb - in the 1st picture the tomato in the top left (beefsteak type?) looks like its got a grin on its face  ;)  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 16:51:35 »
Deb... I have some very dark Black Trifel from you if you want some seed.. and Red Peach was much darker than that when I grew it...  :-\

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 17:11:43 »
Deb - in the 1st picture the tomato in the top left (beefsteak type?) looks like its got a grin on its face  ;)  ;D

That's Togo trifele......it was a swine to de-seed as well...... ;D

Deb... I have some very dark Black Trifel from you if you want some seed.. and Red Peach was much darker than that when I grew it...  :-\

That would be nice thanks, I don't know about the 'Fuzzy' toms then they must be different from Red Peach, I'll have to ask Biscome, I got the seed from her a few years ago.... ???
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal