Author Topic: Compost Bin, I finally got some heat.  (Read 2008 times)

muddylou

• Half Acre
Compost Bin, I finally got some heat.
« on: September 13, 2009, 22:27:40 »
I've finally filled my heap up enough to generate some heat, I've had the plot nearly a year and haven't managed to warm it up at all. Thanks to a delivery of manure and straw from a nearby riding school I've 4/5th filled the bin. I noticed some heat yesterday and have been touching the heap throughout the day today to see if it's real. Tonight I went to place some cuttings on it and there was a cat lying on the top cover enjoying the warmth, what a compliment.   ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Compost Bin, I finally got some heat.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:54:53 »
 :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:12:23 »
definitely a compliment!

motherhen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 21:05:44 »
 :)
I've started doing the QR composting method and well remember the feeling when I first saw steam rising from my heap.  Now if I could just get that happening in the middle of winter then I'd have somewhere nice and warm to sit when I'm having a break on my plot........

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 21:18:44 »
Never had any heat from my compost heap, but my kitchen waste bin gets rather hot! I think I really should empty it more....

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 22:14:57 »
Lawn clippings heat up very fast especially if you give them a stir the next day after they are cut and get some air in.  Quickly get very hot indeed.  Also try a bag full of comfrey that heat up in no time at all.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 22:23:06 »
what is the QR method?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 22:44:42 »
QR method = 'Quick Return Compost Making' aka 'unnecessarily complicated' http://www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/QR/QRCO.html

motherhen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 18:56:00 »
Oh now Baccy Man - each to his own - there are many different ways of making compost so we can all find one that suits each of us.

Me - I love the massive amounts of fantastic compost I can get using the QR method.  And once you get a good routine going it isn't nearly as 'faffy' as you might think.
More info on it here:
http://www.qrcompostingsolutions.co.uk/

I found the workshop really helpful and great fun - not least for the opportunity to chat about compost with other like-minded people.

The other method I use, mostly for kitchen waste, is my wormery.
And then of course there are the hens - not only do they turn waste cooked food and kitchen waste into a great fertilizer and compost activator, but you get eggs as well. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal