Author Topic: I got my allotment! (and a question)  (Read 1291 times)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
I got my allotment! (and a question)
« on: September 20, 2009, 20:40:16 »
Well I got the agreement for my allotment  ;D I took over the plot officially on August 1st but haven't actually been down there at all  :( I was ordered bed rest during the last month of my pregnancy but now that my little guy has arrived its time to get cracking.

I picked up some horse manure today, driving to a car boot I noticed someone had some bags outside the house for free so off we went and asked for it they've promised us more every week for as long as we need it which is ace.

Just not sure what to do with it, do I leave it in a pile to rot down or is it something I can use as soon as the ground has cleared?

I dont intend to plant anything because I'm sure I will be quite far into the winter by the time its all cleared (there's 364sq meters of it!).

also anyone got any tips for moving the compost i've been making in my garden to the lottie in the car without causing my husband to disown me lol!

I think that's all my questions for now... :-\ Thanks in advance!

Ellie
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
Re: I got my allotment! (and a question)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 20:51:48 »
I'd make a compost pile and put it on there, then mix it with all the plant debris as you clear the allotment. Should be usable next season..... hopefully.
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 20:55:11 »
Congratulations on your new arrival. Is the manure safe, as in no aminopyralid in it? We moved 150+ rubble bags of manure by car but it was 4 years old so very safe.

Le-y

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 20:57:55 »
Thanks :) and I honestly have no idea, I'm such a newbie I didn't even know that it may not be safe!

How will I know if there is none present? Is there something I should ask the stables?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 20:59:57 »
congrats on both the plot and the babe :) What kind of condition is the plot in at the moment is it full of weeds?

You can leave the manure bagged in a corner for the winter until you know where you compost bin is going to be. You want to leave this for at least 12 months before you can use it. What i suggest you do is pop into an empty compost bin march year after next some fresh manure a layer of straw topped with your bagged manure and then soil and you will have the making of a hot box for getting plants started early. But don not be 2 keen on using the manure as there is a risk of it carrying toxins which will ruin your crops.

The weeds will be going dormant soon if there is weeds then perhapse the parish can rotivate it for you?

I would suggest that you and cover your plot before any weeds grow back you can then upcover it bit by bit to cultivate.

When your planning things like potatoes will be great for breaking up the soil.

Once the plot is rotivated you need to consider getting overwintering onions and garlic in nowish :)

Good luck  :D

cam

Le-y

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 21:07:47 »
the plot has weeds on one half (the back) and just a very small amount of sparse bracken at the front combined with some (rather annoying and permanent) concrete.

wasn't sure the best way to get rid of the weeds either i admit i presumed Rotavating was a bad thing? no?

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 21:20:10 »
congratulations on the little guy,and good luck with the plot
 hope little fella enjoys it to as he grows

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 21:39:00 »
The concrete area sounds idea for shed/greenhouse type area. You might want to pop a sand box (with lid) and play pen with sun cover on there for baby :) Another allotment holder had a swing fitted for there baby on the plot which kept them out of trouble and left mum to do things on the plot.

Once the plots covered you can take the time to get it sorted :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 23:29:41 »
Congrats on your new plot.  You will have a little helper in a couple of years....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 07:54:06 »
Congratulations on both events...  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal