Author Topic: taking the plunge  (Read 3322 times)

simmo116

• Acre
taking the plunge
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:11:26 »
ok so we've decided to get some bantams woohoo does anyone know of any breeders/supliers in the greater wolverhampton area? im looking at iether polish ones or the marin ones or something that is good with kids and pays its way with eggs...lol
any advise would be greatly apreciated
thanx

simmo116

• Acre
Re: taking the plunge
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 18:07:23 »
just been to look at some chucks and sort of decided on a rhode island red for one a day. a buff Laced Wyandotte and a silkie. they look wonderfull. oo i cant wait.

BockingBill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 20:54:04 »
just been to look at some chucks and sort of decided on a rhode island red for one a day. a buff Laced Wyandotte and a silkie. they look wonderfull. oo i cant wait.

Hi Simmo, we got a silkie when we first started and we had to take it back as it was really violent to the others. Beautiful bird so I wish you better luck than we had.

lightyears

• Quarter Acre
    • Holmesphotographic
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 10:09:13 »

Road island reds are really nice birds, plus they lay like there is no tomorrow. i would echo what bockingbill said about the silkie, they tend to be a bit aggressive to other birds.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 20:27:14 »
ok will take heed thanks for the heads up guys. should have coupe finished by the weekend. decided to build one after seeing the prices people want.!!!! HOW much for a bit of wood.!!!! ;D
will post pics when done. quick question though. do they have food&water  in coupe at night? or do they just sleep after retiring to roost? can anyone recomend a bantam breed that is good pet and not that much destructive.
im hoping that if i give them what they need ie dust bath area,fresh greens daily they wont decimate my borders. im making there run big enough so if it turns out they do go balistic they can stay in the pen and only be let out every other sunday....lol ;D

lightyears

• Quarter Acre
    • Holmesphotographic
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 20:45:50 »
ok will take heed thanks for the heads up guys. should have coupe finished by the weekend. decided to build one after seeing the prices people want.!!!! HOW much for a bit of wood.!!!! ;D
will post pics when done. quick question though. do they have food&water  in coupe at night? or do they just sleep after retiring to roost? can anyone recomend a bantam breed that is good pet and not that much destructive.
im hoping that if i give them what they need ie dust bath area,fresh greens daily they wont decimate my borders. im making there run big enough so if it turns out they do go balistic they can stay in the pen and only be let out every other sunday....lol ;D

i take my food away at night as they usually sleep at night and can wait until morning if they are hungry.
i would look at buff orpington bantam as they behave like puppy labradors all day long and love being a pet rather than a commodity. my are always in a run, 20foot by 10 foot and they get along just nicely.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 20:25:05 »
this is where im at at close of play this evening.just got to paint feather edge. and build run but i dont think i will have enough timber. looks like another trip to b&q.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 16:05:22 »
finished article. just waiting on chooks now. get them at 5pm tonight.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 16:49:20 »
Don't forget the pics when they come
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 19:14:55 »

here's sookie,dottie and the rir is cherry.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 19:18:10 by simmo116 »

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 22:20:12 »
Looks good Simmo, is the roof hinged for cleaning and collecting?

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 07:51:33 »
sure is.
well there first night went ok. had to coax them in with a torch.they didnt want to get up this morning. well i supose it is sunday....lol

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 09:14:47 »
How lovely Simmo
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 06:44:31 »
Looks great Simmo. I am seriously thinking of getting 3 or 4. Am a bit concerned that they have enough space as I too would like to keep my borders. Any idea if when they roam free, do they dig up the grass? I have an are about12x8 that is part soil and art hardstanding. was going to try an utilise this. I could extend it a bit if needs be. Will try and do some research first. Good luck with the chooks :)

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 17:05:00 »
have found that if its green they eat it! lol so going to have to segregate flower beds and give them some where to scrtach. no eggs yet but early days. guestimate there about 19 weeks old.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal