Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 6232 times)

Spurdie

• Acre
Re:Feathers
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 19:35:21 »
William, we have lots of hazel woodlands here too! And MOST of us CAN speak English (when we want to!)
Re saying "hello" to strangers: up here I always to speak to anyone and everyone (whether I know them or not). For all the effort it takes to open you mouth and say "hello, whit a bonny day" (this I have uttered about twice this year) and for them to reply "Aye we better mak the best o it afore it comes on rain again".  But when I go down to Edinburgh and try the same trick people look at me as though I've just escaped from an assylum!  :(  Have been informed that it is not the "done thing" to talk to strangers as people keep themselves to themselves down there (don't know who their neighbours are five doors down!) I don't know about you, but I find that very sad ...  :(

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 20:21:25 »
I love Scotland... and the scots we met there were really warm and friendly, we toured B&B.
I feel sure I have ties there because when leaving for home I have a little tear in my eye. :-[ :'(
Keeping on topic the wildlife's good too! ::)

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 20:28:35 »
A tear in your eye, eh Roy? That moisture that you felt was most probably RAIN! Don't worry, you'll get used to it!
Yes, we are not short of wildlife. There was a report in the paper about pine grosbeaks being spotted far from home! I've no idea what they look like, so I'm going to look them up on Google. We've had waxwings for several years now, and there are large flocks of fieldfares stripping the rowans just now. Good crop of rowans = severe winter  :(  Plenty rowans = plenty waxwings  :)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 21:05:58 »
Hi Spurdie just found this in a book I have.There are scarlet one also. 8)

We have had Waxwings visit us here in Brum, the reason I know this is that I saw several peeps with Binoculars on tripods and went over and stuck my beak in to inquire and they said they found out about them on the internet and came from miles around just to take a peek. :o
Blooming marvelous this internet thingy init? 8)

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 14:04:39 »
I really like the highlands an the Scots.

Once in early may I backpacked solo across the Monadliath from glen Roy near Fort William to Tomatin near Inverness, camping alone in the hills near streams and rivers. In the lowerparts the lambing had just begone and higher up the grouse were on their nests. They are so well camouflaged that you don't see them untill they fly up when you come within 1 - 2 metre distance. Really a beautifull and nice place to be.

And I guess it ist true, the smaller and the more rural the towns and villages the more welcoming and open the people.
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 14:21:28 »
 ;DI've had OH cousins send me their local paper...doesn't say nothing about the midges..I'm hoping its further up where they are, we're not going into the highlands there, its nearer Glasgow. Spurdie you've got me even more excited about the place...Edinburgh sounds like here..it is so sad, it wasn't like it when I was young but people have become so suspicious. I'm looking forward to finding out about the wildlife, also you've clinched it for me about cottage plants...mine have struggled for a few years now and unless I want to change the style of gardening, I'm sure they won't last much longer....Went to Herne Bay earlier, they had a Scots band complete with bag pipes walking up the high street...the word must've got about..lol.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2004, 18:26:24 »
Thanks for the piccy, Roy  ;D
Will have to scrutinise every pink looking bird around: either a chaffinch, bullfinch, brambling or PINE GROSBEAK! I love the American nickname they have - mopes!
Val, re pipe bands: I've been told that wearing no drawers under your kilt can be very advantageous.  :) It's difficult to fit into wee portaloos with all your regalia on, so they just squat on the ground and look as though they're resting, all the while .... So now you know. If you find a patch of soggy ground at a Highland show DON'T SIT ON IT!  :(

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2004, 10:29:25 »
 ;DLoveit...I never peeked up their kilts though....oh blow.. ;D I'll remember that , so if I see a highlander squatting I'm not to assume he's tired or admiring the heather.......
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2004, 19:58:37 »
While you are looking for Highland Men squatting on the ground, you had better look out for the Haggis as well with two legs shorter than the other so that they can run around the hills and not fall over !!!

:D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2004, 20:47:13 »
I tried Haggis tatties 'n' neeps but must have been short changed as the legs were missing off of mine :'(

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2004, 17:14:35 »
Hello, Carol  ;D
I haven't seen a postcard with a haggis on for ages ... maybe it's not p.c. to poke fun at the haggis' disabilities!  :-X  I must admit I'm not a haggis fan at all. I'd rather just eat the neaps and tatties!  :D
Had a large flock of greenfinches raiding the nuts today. I wish they'd all eat in an orderly manner, but instead they spend most of their time fighting. Most disagreeable birds.  :(

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2004, 22:24:57 »
Roy,
though noone has mentioned it, I want to acknowledge your ring of feathers joke. Very good. Apt!

Ciaran

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal