Author Topic: Borage  (Read 1110 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Borage
« on: September 05, 2009, 19:42:44 »
The borage on my plot has gone mad this year-mainly because I love the flowers so much I can't bear to pull it up. I'm now wondering what to do to make the most of it. I have pulled up a load that was swamping my parsnips so wonder if I could put it in a bin and drown it to make plant food like comfrey , or leave it on the soil as a mulch,- does it matter that it has flowered (I know it will self-seed like mad). I still have quite a bit in situ and wonder whether it is worth stripping the leaves off, again for compost or feed. And finally, as it's an annual, is it ok to leave the roots in the ground and will they be beneficial to the soil?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Borage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 19:47:54 »
I think I've read on here that it can go straight in the compost bin. After reading it last year I took up what I had in the garden & did just that.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 21:42:17 »
i compost mine and yes it means i spread the seed around but i think they are pretty too plus they a pretty easy to pull out if they come up in the wrong place.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 21:55:09 »
Snap... been weeding it out of the pumpkin patch for the Open day

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 22:30:00 »
Plot-buddy pulled his up today - and yes, the flowers were striking, it did seem a shame.

I'm not convinced that all the smell and bother of soaking is worth it, and I don't plan on watering anything now till next year, so I'd just put it on the compost heap.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:17:05 »
How about just digging it in as green manure? I'm going to drown mine in a bucket and use as plant food.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 20:44:13 »
we stick it in the trenches for the beans and peas or in pumpkin pits  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal